1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Heavy Rain Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 12 Mar 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

We've been snowed under with a flood of games lately, but we've finally found time for Heavy Rain. Does Quantic Dream's latest adventure game manage to keep its head above water, or is this PS3 exclusive lost at sea? Join us in the hunt for the Origami Killer to find out!

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2010/03/12/heavy-rain-review/1

:thumb:

2. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Need PC version. Best game that has been released this year, something different than all the shooters (yes Mass Effect 2 is a shooter as well).

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

ps3 excluesive = who cares?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PS3 owners!

All 8 of them.

;)

NB: Sarcasm! Not flame inductive.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Mar 2010
  5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

QTE for cleaning teeth? I'm so glad I don't own a PS3.

In 12 months time, who will remember this tripe?

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

+1

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

How long does it take to complete if you skip the boring teeth-brushing parts? I wouldn't buy it, but it may be worth a rent.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

That's what I'd suggest, probably. It's not a short game and there's DLC and unlockables, plus some real meat to get stuck into, but I wouldn't say it comes high in replayability. Then again, it's an adventure game so that goes with the territory.

9. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

TBH its not that good. Kudos for trying to do something different andcreating a good enviroment with a decent storyline but the first 20mins impression stuck with me through the whole game. The only reason worth completing it is to find out whats going on. Just like a movie but lasts longer.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

What happens if you mess up the toothbrushing QTE? Does death result?

12. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

I enjoyed playing the game. It was slow to start off with but the whole teeth-brushing and showering and the small detailed activities that you didn't enjoy sorta added to it all. It takes time and all the events are timed. It really felt like playing a Sims game but you only controlled on character.
    The brushing of teeth sequences had no detrimental effects if failed but as it was in the beginning, one could assume that it was put there as an intro-level where the player gets used to the controls

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

+2

I can appreciate they are trying something different, and I bet there are quite a few moments like that described in the review where you are blown away.

But at the end of the day, a game based around QTEs is really MGS4, minus what little gameplay there was, and now all the cutscenes require button pushes. Obviously a generalisation, which can be done for any game, but that is one damn condemning generalisation in my opinion.

14. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I think you guys are wrong at dismissing the game without actually trying it. And no, looking at screenshots or videos isn't the same as playing it.

15. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

If this is successful do you think someone at Sega will consider the next Shenmue sequel?

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'm not dismissing the game at all, as I would try it given the option. I just don't like the sounds of it, don't like the looks of it, and don't own a PS3, so unless a friend has it and I get the opportunity, I won't be bothering.

17. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Tripe? Your glad you dont own a PS3 because of one game you have never even played? hate to break it to you, the Ps3 has had the betetr exclusives for over 2 years now, and has been outselling the 360 for quite sometime worldwide. I have a 360, PS3 and hiogh end gaming rig, the PS3 is IMo the best console, and it is also a killer media server, built in bluray and wireless.

This game is all about the overall mood, experience, great characters, stopry, and, there is a lot of replay value, based on youer actions NPC's, live, die, different endings, story changes quite a bit.

Amazing how people are so ignorant and just dismiss anything when its different. games has gotten critical and commercial success for a reason.

I am glad sony invests in more uique ideas then MS and their Pc wannabe console.

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm not dismissing the game for trying to do something unique. I love it for that, just like I loved Fahrenheit for that - the PC and Xbox game that was very similar and Quantic Dream made previously. It's purely that the overall mood and tone can't balance out often irritating design and poorly told parts of the story. The console doesn't come into it at all. I'd prefer it if it were on PC for personal at-home playing, but a good game is a good game regardless of platform.

It's a brilliant game, just don't even get me started on the electrified maze and the stupid searching through different pills back at the motel, etc.

19. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I have a PS3 (chromed out launch one, yeah!!) and thisis a game I might actually turn it on for. I don't use it very often. but with this and God of War 3, it will be getting tons of use.

Edit: I would like to thank everyone at the top's constructive comments for trying to start a flame war.

20. veato

veato I should be working

Would you care to back that up with any evidence? I had a quick look for figures and found total worldwide sales are:

1. Wii – 67.45 million, as of 31 December 2009 (2009 -12-31)
    2. Xbox 360 – 39 million,as of 1 January 2010 (2010 -01-01)
    3. PlayStation 3 – 33.5 million, as of 31 December 2009 (2009 -12-31)

I'm not saying its fact but its the same story I've seen elsewhere.

But if how many consoles you sell is somehow a factor of how great it is then does that mean the Wii is better than any of the others? :duh: