1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics hello, simple circuit question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by charliejr, 9 Dec 2002.

1. charliejr

charliejr What's a Dremel?

hi all, i am trying to make a simple led circuit that has somthing to do with a science project. i need multiple leds with switches on a single circuit. I soldered the leds in paralell but when i put the switch in, it just cuts all the leds out behind it, as well as the one i actually wanted turned off. could somone explain how to do this?and if what i said didnt make any sense, please tell me :)

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The problem is in parallel, the LEDs are connected to common positive and negative terminals. As you've already discovered, the switch, when you turn if off, opens the circuit for the other LEDs behind it. What you'll want to do is use DPST switches, connecting them in parallel. These switches will have four prongs, 1 2 3 and 4. When the switch closes the circuit, 1 connects to 3 and 2 connects to four. Hook up the switches in parallel, 1 positive, 2 negative. Now, hook up each LED, positive prong to 3, negative to 4. One switch will not cut off electricity from the ones behind it, as they're each their own seperate circuit.