1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Help - Aluminium Fabrication - ITX case (project: Trojan)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by andy_mcp1, 14 Sep 2015.

1. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

Hi all, I've spent the last month meticulously designing a new aluminium scratch build eSFF ITX high end gaming case (case/project title - "Trojan"). Pretty much will be the highest powered machine that can physically fit in the smallest possible footprint whilst being able to smartly/neatly show-case the components inside. (all will be revealed soon). ;)

This is going to be my final case build as I really don't see how I can go smaller or optimise the design any further without compromising on volume/footprint, and I am pretty happy with this case design and don't see a need to challenge myself after this (so have put my all into it).

Will be posting the teaser snap-shots from Sketch-up on this thread later this week, and 3D renders next week.

The up-right tower case is to measure 300mm (h) x 175mm (w) x 225mm (l) [circa 11.8lts], will accept a full 11" GPU, ITX MB, 2 x SSDs, 1 x SFX PSU, and will be an air-cooled solution. The case will be constructed from 90% aluminium and the foot to be from acrylic (though this is still open for debate).

Components are proposed to be:

Asus ROG Z170 Maximum VIII Impact (when it finally gets released)
    Intel Core i7 6700​K Skyl​ake
    Corsa​ir 16GB DDR4 Veng​eance
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC ASX 2.0
    SilverStone SFX600
    2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb

I am intending to construct the case from a mixture of 4mm, 10mm, 3mm and 2mm thick aluminium sheet/plate. And a 8mm thick tempered glass or acrylic side panel.

I am quiet competent with working with Aluminium and Acrylic, however one of the problems I have had in the past is time. I never seem to have enough of it and often burn myself out or run out of time in the end to fully complete the project. So this time I am looking to have a good portion of parts fabricated by others - to which I will carry out only minor works at home, case assembly, finishing, painting and parts assembly. I know I should do all the works myself, but to see this through to completion, I've concluded I need some outside help.

Can anyone in the community help or recommend a company that will do small order fabrication works for small aluminium panels (services required includes cutting, CNC, bending and drilling). I appreciate this will cost and am willing to pay (within reason) to see the concept come to fruition.

Also, can anyone advise if cutting 4mm and 10mm thick aluminium is best to be done with laser or water jet cutting? What is the difference in the results / price etc :dremel:

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would go for CNC for aluminium and acrylic I've cut 25mm on mine, you're more likely to find someone here with a CNC hence a lot cheaper, I'm curious why the 8mm tempered glass? that's going to be heavy btw I also work with glass.

3. andy_mcp1

Project Logo:

[​IMG]

And a sneak peak at a monochrome image of the basic design (don't want to give away too much too soon, other than it'll be a black white and grey theme) :)

[​IMG]

Hi Teelzebub, would CNC be suitable for fine details? See below images for two of the panels requiring work. I have few other parts and bars requiring work and need pretty high precision to marry the parts together, hence I was thinking a fabrication company might be good to get the guarantee with the eol parts. Do you know anyone would be willing to cut and bend these parts if I sourced the materials? :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teelzebub likes this.
  4. Teelzebub

A CNC could do that fine detail easily.

PM me if you want to talk further

Nexxo likes this.
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

"Teelzebub's got a CNC put aside for me, for me, for meeeee..."

Last edited: 18 Sep 2015
  6. andy_mcp1

Some more teaser images from Sketchup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Internal shots and details to follow. Stay tuned!:rock:

7. andy_mcp1

More Images

Some more shots from sketch-up, this time detailing the component/internal layout shots with the top and front panels removed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Presently busy finishing off rendering the model in KK (on image 5 out of 6) to post up in the launch of the work log in the Project forum once I start, hopefully next month. Also completing final dimensional checks (triple checking the model, a week a part for a fresh set of eyes to make sure I don't miss anything), and looking up fabrication workshops to do the metal and plastic cutting and bending works.

8. andy_mcp1

For this project, I am looking to see if can get some sponsorship and would like to be affiliated with Bit-Tech, if any of BT moderators are viewing this post, please PM me, would appreciate some guidance!

9. Teelzebub

Don't think BT does anything like that. and if you want sponsoring then email the companies with you ideas / concepts you may get lucky

10. andy_mcp1

I was just going by the sponsorship guide on the projects forum http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=161656, in which they say not to engage manufactures claiming to be affiliated with BT, to do so this should be through BT, hence my plea.

Might not be the case now, just thought I'd put it out there to get further guidance having not gone throught the sponsorship route before.

11. Teelzebub

Well I got a kind of sponsorship from a PC components shop for a give a way I did here on bt they was happy to have their name associated with it.