1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Help choosing case,arranging parts,suggestions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Spyrious, 24 Jan 2009.

1. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Hello.After thorough planning and thinking i finally decided to start a new project.
    My first thoughts where building a custom aluminium-acrylic made cube.Unfortunatelly i couldn't find the appropriate aluminium bars where i live so shipping cost would take the budget too high.my next thought was to buy an Mountain Mods U2 UFO Cyo with a custom solid front panel so i could cut my own design.Again shipping costs from the USA to Greece are 134 Euro.So case and shipping would go to 460 Euro.Finally i decided to buy a tower case and do my best to mod it.

I'm considering to buy a Silverstone TJ-09B.What i want to put in it is

Watercooling.Feser 240 radiator on top.
    Propably a Phenom 2 system
    Maximum 6 hdds
    An Intel D945GCLF2 board as a Fileserver,Download Pc,Running Freenas.
    I have a 7" tft if i can fit it somewhere.
    Maybe a 15" tft on the side (behind the mobo) if its not to thick and if it fits.
    A slim slot loading notebook dvdrw,or maybe 2?
    Make some covers to hide wires and other stuff.

I have some early thoughts
    Cut a window for the dvdrw and placing it in place A or B or both.The discs in option b will slide in - out from the side.In option A maybe slide in-out on top.

[​IMG]

Imaybe remove all drive cages and make my own.The mini itx will go in place a or b.

[​IMG]

Sorry for crap drawings.
    Let me know what you think.

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'd put the mITX in area B and a fan of some sort on the front panel, hard drives can be put in the 5.25" bay (you can sacrifice 3x 5.25" bays for 4x 3.5" bays)

To be honest, I don't see a point using a 15" monitor AND a 7"... having the 15" mounted on the side will produce a lot of uneccesary heat for the main board and possibly the mITX board too.

To be honest, fitting 2 PSUs (I haven't seen a picoPSU that is fully compatible with 24+4pin motherboards), a 7" screen, liquid cooling, and two motherboard in that case is a bit of a tight squeeze, you might have to sacrifice an idea or two... (or look at another case)

Just a few outside observations
    Sean

3. Spyrious

OK thanks.I maybe ditch the 15"tft.I would prefer a case without a front door and not too high like the cm stacker for example.Any suggestions?
    I still don't know where to put the 7" tft.

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'd recommend either Lian Li or Antec... for build quality or performance (repectively)

5. Spyrious

Change of plans.I consider redoing my previous modded Chieftech.Here some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of doing a inverted atx,mount a triple or quad radiator in front.But my only problem is how can i change the window in some other shape since the panels are already cut.