1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice help choosing processor,ram and motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TNT, 15 Nov 2008.

1. TNT

TNT What's a Dremel?

I need some help choosing a processor for gaming i play first person shooters alot and will be doing a bit of video editing.

MY processor choices are the E8400 and the Q6600. If i get the E8400 will it make full use of 1066mhz ram or is going with a 800mhz ram better,same goes for the Q6600 which ram will be better

AS for my motherboard its between the ASU P5Q PRO and the gigabyte EP45DS3R

Lastly need help choosing a PSU CORSAIR HX620 or CORSAIR TX750. Is a modular psu gonna make a big difference and whats the difference between modular and non modular.

If u guys could reply it would really help as im goin 2 build my rig real soon maybe by the end of this week

Please give me ur opinions and all comments will be much appreciated thanks

Last edited: 16 Nov 2008
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

A dual core is faster, E8400 is 3.0GHz and the Q6600 is 2.4GHz. However, a quad has more cores so it will be good if you multitask or if your video editing programs are multithreaded. Most games are single or dual threaded.

I have a P5Q Pro but I don't know about the Gigabyte so I can't say which one to choose. :)

A modular PSU is great to have, I'd go with the HX620 (actually I have one :p ) It'll be more than enough power aswell.

Just my two cents :thumb:

Guest-16 likes this.
  3. TNT

TNT What's a Dremel?

Alright thanks for the reply and how is ur P5Q PRO mobo.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

quad for the video editing, dual for gaming. like mm vr said, games dont take advantage of the quad's. Really I would just get the cheaper of the two and overclock it.

620 should be enough power for you. what video card are you getting?

I have used asus a lot and ama fan of their boards so I guess my vote is for Asus.

A modular psu is one that you can remove cables from the psu that you aren't using. a non modular one has all the cables fixed to the psu unit so you will have to find a way to hide them in your case. The modular ones are great for keeping a clean case with max airflow.

Not a huge difference between 1066 and 800mhz ram. as long as the 800 stuff runs at cas 4. I have 1066 5-5-4-12 ddr2 and I works great. If i slow it down to 800 I dont really notice a speed difference. Get which ever is cheaper.
    If you get 4gb or more, get a 64bit OS.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

It's good. No problems so far.

However, the temperature sensors are calibrated like sh1te, sometimes it shows temperatures below 10C and sometimes it goes up to >140C. But that doesn't matter much.

You should 64-bit even if you didn't get 4GB.

6. TNT

TNT What's a Dremel?

Hey man i might get a P5QPRO motherboard if u reccomend it to me as my pc shop ran out of ep45DSR3 or any othe suggestions in that price range

Thanks you guys rock for helpin me

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

get the e8400, the p5q Pro and 4gb of ddr2-800 memory. Video editing goes faster on the Q6600, and gaming works better on the 8400. It all depends on what is more important to you. I think that the e8400 is a better buy at the moment though, because it uses a lot less power and it's cheaper.

the HX 620 is a great power supply, but it's getting a bit old. go check out the harware - PSU section of the bit-tech reviews, there are some great advice there :)

I always enjoy using modular PSUs, because they are so easy to install and they are great if you want to keep the inside of your case neat and tidy.

Tags: