Build Advice Help chosing; CPU cooler, Mobo, PSU and RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knarF, 14 Jul 2011.

1. knarF

knarF Noob

Here's my planned build so far (thanks to a few people here helping me chose this a while ago);
    • CPU - Intel i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
    • GPU - MSI GTX 570
    • Mobo - Asus P8P67 Rev 3
    • HDD - Samsung F3 1TB
    • Case - Coolermaster Elite 430

This is going to be a gaming rig, i don't need anything fancy, just something that will play new games at high quality on a 22"/24" HDMI screen and have a few USB slots.

Mobo;
    I'm probably going to go with the Asus P8P67 Rev 3 because of the compromise between quality and cost (i'm trying to cut costs where i can), but there are a few variations which i don't really understand the difference between (look here). So much choice i don;t even know what i'm after.

CPU Cooler;
    I'm not planning on OCing any time soon (basically, while it can run the latest games at max settings i have no need to) so i don't even know if this is necessary, i might just use the stock one until it becomes out dated and buy another when i plan on OCing. What would you do? And if i should buy one, what do you recommend?

RAM;
    I'm probably just going to get either this or spend a few extra quid on this if it will make any difference.

PSU;
    I basically know nothing about this. I just want something that's compatible, reliable and cheap. I did see my case bundled with a 500W Coolermaster supply, but i was advised against it.

Any help will be appreciated, i'll also rep those who help the most. Also, please tell me if i've done something stupid and chosen things that don't go together.
    Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2011
  2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No reason why cutting costs would mean leaving out features!

Suggested changes...

MOTHERBOARD: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    MEMORY: Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black LP 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    CASE: Antec 100
    PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power L7 530W Power Supply BN106

Should all do you just fine! As for a CPU Cooler just go for a Gelid Tranquillo.

knarF likes this.
  3. knarF

knarF Noob

Right, thanks. I think that's pretty much all my parts decided upon.
    But why change the case? Is there something wrong with the Coolermaster 430? Because personally i think i prefer that one.

4. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

case is more a personal choice, cheap cases will have sharper edges and poor or no cable management. spend a bit more and you'll have more features but at the end of the day its just to hold your components and keep them as cool as possible with case fans. At work we simply have a test bench setup, the motherboard is just attached some rubber on a block of wood, everything is open :D, been fine for the last two years, apart from the odd thing being dropped on it lol. That case seems to be fine, if you want it get it :). Im thinking of getting the 2500k but might hold for a month and get the 2600k.
    Make sure you don't skimp on the psu, probably regret it later if you do.

knarF likes this.
  5. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Msi p67a gd53 is a great board and is only £100

6. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

dont waste your time with the intel cooler, as with previous generations its utter crap.

when sandy bridge first came out i heard people hitting over 4GHZ with it and i was astounded so i ran the stock cooler on mine for a week. i was getting crap temps even at stock speeds despite reseating the cooler twice and having good case flow. i replaced it with an H50 and havnt looked back.

SB doesnt take a ton of cooling, but the stock cooler just sucks so very much.

knarF likes this.
  7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Maybe a haf 912? They're meant to be pretty good but a bit noisy like the antec 100. That case is probably a bit cheap :)

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

This. I would be going for the coolermaster 212 hyper plus though. Great HSF.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Been meaning to ask about this HSF, does it offer decent RAM clearance on a P67?

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It will allow you to use all 4 slots, the fan will just push up slightly against the ram stick in slot one.

Also scan are doing an offer if you buy the G65 MSI board for 118 pounds you will get a free Hyper 212 +

11. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

Get a corsair power supply

There the most reliable because you don't want a crummy power supply breaking all your new shiny stuff :)

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Be Quiet PSU is well regarded.

13. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

I haven't heard of them before :S