1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rikbikboo, 31 Mar 2006.

1. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

just installed a hard drive for ym friends pc. it shows as installed in device manager but not in my computer.

i have had this problem before and i know that all i have to do is assign the hard drive a letter and it will then become visible in my computer.

can anyone please tell me how to do it as i have sat here for ages trying to get it done and i cannot for the life of me remember how (iot is very simple i know )

thanks in advance.

p.s its a sata drive and i know it only has to be mapped but cant remember how.

thanks again

just found the drive in some page and it says the drive is unallocated. i knew this but how to allocate it????

daaamn pc.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
  2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

You need to format the drive, go to: Control panel(classic) > Administrative Tools> Computer Management > click "+" on storgae > Disk managment > right click the drive (in the bottom ssection of the window)> select "new partition" then follow the wizzard :)

3. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

yeah got it sussed out it just wasnt allocated a letter. did what you said reformatted it and all now works well.

turned out well for me as i got paid 1gb of ram "single stick" and a 200gb sata hard drive for my efforts.

all brand new and boxed too. woot woot