1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me decide p4 or athlonxp.......

Discussion in 'General' started by Cool Hand, 25 Dec 2001.

1. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

im about to lay down some serious cash for a new p4 guts for my system......i decided to go p4 cause they seem rock stable and compatible with everything.....ive yet to see an overily negative review of p4 components.....

anyone want to take a stab at an valid arguement why i should stick with my p4 decision, or go with athlon xp instead.

before you post....two simple guidlines

1. dont post saying intel sucks cause there big and bad..(just like microsoft)

2. do not factor cost into the arguement......

my system is going to be 50-50 games and work....work being all multimedia apps out there...sound, video, photo editing etc...gaming being most fps and racing games......the system also has the 3rd duty of being my home entertainment center....

2. RTT

RTT #parp

i'd go P4,

1) to be different from most others
    2) sheer MHz!
    3) rambus

:)

3. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

u forgot to mention they are more stable than Athlons which is good if u not into OC'ing

4. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

If you wait a bit you can get a P4 which has a different core and is supposed to be waay better.
    Nuthin to do with this topic but someone i know works in a building where they have 9000Gb of network space to put their data on :eek: :eek: . Neeeeeeeedâ„¢

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dual 1.4MP (or whatever fastest is) Tbirds and a Tyan Tiger mobo, or wait for the red MSI dual mobo.

More fun, more power!

I think itll take XPs too, so if cost was no option - try that! :D (dual 1900s or dual 2000 thouroughbreads!!)

6. zebedee

zebedee What's a Dremel?

or dual p4`s just to be a tw@ :D

7. Cool Hand

all good points....im still set on the p4....am gona wait till the 2.2 is available (early january-correct ?)......im gona team it with an asus p4t-e, and 256 megs to start with (want to get an gf3 also....cheap now that the ti's are out).....

upgrading from an p2-400, im gona fine either one insanily fast anyway...plus, i dont put any faith in all the benchmarks out there.....i dont think either one is faster then the other in enough areas to be a definite king of speed.....

8. Teivos

Teivos What's a Dremel?

DOWN WITH INTEL...
    erm, i mean.... yeah intel rocks *cough* *cough*

I have a Tyan Tyger 1.4MP...
    Talk about pure power :)

9. Cool Hand

well...ive been doing alot of research on it and i honestily cant see much overall difference in performance from various reviews....so an athlonxp will run word faster....big deal...like its not fast enough on an p4?

ide love to save money and go with amd...but it just seems like they have more probs than intel....i dont want to have to tweak the thing every time i add something, or worry that x vid card, and y sound card will not function properily........as far as i can see, intel is compatible with everything, and ill pay a bit extra for that......

10. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

2.2ghz p4 with 400mhz FSB Just Do It pure energy, energy, energy