1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me find a keyboard that suits my needs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shark00n, 15 Jul 2007.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n What's a Dremel?

Hey guys! For the past two hours I've been searching on the Internet for my "ideal keyboard".
    See, the thing is, I game a lot. Counter Strike, Battlefield, Fear, Battlefront, etc... And I need a keyboard for late night gaming, it must be comfortable to use during long hours, it has to be corded because I'm sick of buying brand new batteries every month! Now, as far as design goes it needs to be black with red backlight but no transparent keys! Something like the Razer Tarantula, but red, would be PERFECT!

Long story short:
    -Gaming keyboard
    -Comfortable
    -Corded
    -Full-size
    -Black
    -Red backlight
    -No transparent keys

So, can you guys help me? :hehe:
    Thanks!

2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

3. Shark00n

Yeah I saw that keyboard... Unfortunately I can only get it with German Layout and I need Portuguese Layout, that's whats making finding a keyboard so difficult! Because that Saitek would be perfect!

Thanks for the sugestion mate!

4. Shark00n

Just e-mailed Saitek regarding the possibility of them to make a version of the Eclipse II in the Portuguese Layout.

Let's wait for an answer, hope they're quick!

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does it really have to have a backlight? Does it really need to be a "gaming" (a.k.a. overpriced) keyboard?

Personally, I game on a cheap MS keyboard and it doesn't do my performance any harm.

6. Shark00n

I say Gaming because normaly theese have special keys for macros, which would be very usefull in RTSs and CS.
    The backlight is essential yes, I often loose track of keys and write "one key away" if you know what I mean.

I didn't ask for a overpriced keyboard, theese Saitek for instante are quite reasonably priced, too bad there's no portuguese layout or macro keys though.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... Personally I don't see the point in macro keys unless you play lots of complex MMO's, and a backlight is pointless tbh, they have little raised bits on f and j, not to mention the marked bits around the space bar and caps-lock key.

Just a suggestion, "gaming" is generally a licence to print money, so I tend to avoid "gaming" peripherals unless they really offer something special.

8. Shark00n

I have to disagree, macros are usefull in any game, specialy round based FPS's. I just push Macro key nº 1 and instatly buy 5 different items. As far as RTS's go, just press macro key nº2 and automaticaly start creating 10 more units of soldiers to battle, these are only two examples.

What's the difference between a car with no lights, and a car with lights when its dark? Sure, you can feel the first car when it runs over you, but you can't see it. With the backlight it's the same deal, I can feel the orientation keys, sure, but why bother when I can just give a quick look and get the right key on the spot?

Well, yes gaming is used as a license to print money, so, do exactly what you said, help me find that gaming keyboard that offers something really special.

Thanks

9. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The thing about backlights is that they are totally useless if you care about your health. Sitting in absolute dark to play games is an ergonomic nightmare; you should at least have a desk lamp pointed at your keyboard, rendering the backlights useless.

And don't tell me the little light detracts from the fun of the game. I'm sitting in front of a computer too, you know, and I find everything to be much more pleasant with just a bit of background light. Just position your light so there's no glare on screen, and you get the added benefit of being able to eat without having to scrounge in the dark for your snacks.

10. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

I'm a big fan of my Logitech G15, it has all the features you asked for and more, except the backlight is blue and not red. I highly recommend it, even if it is a little over the top for most needs

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Get a Microsoft keyboard. They offer many models to suit your ergonomic needs. Their multimedia buttons can be rebound to custom in-game functions. If you want lighting, mod the keyboard and install LEDs yourself--who the hell are you trying to impress with a backlit keyboard?

As for custom macros, in the way you described them in first-person shooters, they are your function keys. Ever notice that wide, 12-key bar across the top of your keyboard, labeled F1 through F12?