1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me win a Bet

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by corvette, 29 Aug 2007.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

ok guys here goes

I have a bet on with the senior network admin, this is what it is over.

Externally you can access our website by going to cae.edu.au and it works as well as going to www.cae.edu.au
    now internally you cant access cae.edu.au if behind our proxy it brings up Ninemsn search, if not behind our proxy it brings up IIS page is under construction.

The bet is i dont find out why its setup like this

Now our website is hosted off site but we are running Web applications and a DNS server here, with the cae.edu.au as the domain. i have a theory that enableing cae.edu.au to be accessed internally was causing issues within our network accessing web based applications.

but i wanna hear what you guys think, just to let you no that a Slab of beer is riding on this and i wanna win.

To help you guys if there are any questions you wanna ask that may help just let me no

2. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

The problem is with the domain name itself. Having your web-site hosted externally and then hosting a network with the same domain name as the web-site is causing the conflict as the DNS server cannot offer both of them to anyone wishing to resolve the cae.edu.au name. Whoever thought of naming their internal network domain the same as their web-site hosted externally needs to be slapped :p

The answer to the proxy issue is because the proxy cannot pass back a response from the web-site and gives the Ninemsn search (it should but I need to question how the proxy is configured) whilst if you don't use the proxy, cae.edu.au will resolve to your internal network's port 80 which happens to be your IIS server, which has nothing on it based on your post.

If you forward all DNS requests to resolve cae.edu.au to the web-site, you will cripple the internal network. One way around this is to forward all cae.edu.au requests on port 80 (plus any secure ports, should there be any on your web-site, such as 443 for HTTPS) to the web site but these requests will add unnecessary workload to the internal server during busy times. If you have any conflicts in the domain name and port use with the web-site, then you'll have to make adjustments to your internal network

Alternatively, give the network domain name a more ideal name to save yourself from all the trouble but there'll be a fair amount of tidying up to do.

3. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

Well explained tzang :thumb:
    We had the same problem here at the start of the year. we have since changed our local domain name.

Now Corvette, go win yourself a case of beer :D

Tags: