1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please, Im Confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jethro, 13 Sep 2005.

1. jethro

jethro Modthusiast

Ok so if your reading this you have come to save me :p

I have not really kept up on new hardware and the like in some time (~2years) due to various reasons, but my pc is now finding itself in need of replacement.
    I have a decent p4 2.6Ghz system that just isnt cutting it for its 2 uses, World Of Warcraft and some audio post production load when all my macs are busy.

I went looking to purchase a Athlon Xp3700+ and new mobo/ram to go with it, as the rest of the hardware is already fine and dandy (fibre disk array, sound, and a geforce 6600 agp card).

So here is my dilema, I need to find a solid mobo that i can get the full fsb speed out of to go with a XP64 3700 that also will take my agp8x card, i dont see need in buying a new video card to replace something that functions quite well.

I guess im just a tad lost after being away:
    What is revision e vs non revision e?
    If i dont get a pci-x mobo can i get the full fsb speeds an athlon xp can support?
    anything else I should know?

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

umm Im asumming you want a skt 754 as the amd xp's are only on that socket (i think), so I'd say your best is getting an Abit NF7-S its known as being the most stable skt754 board out. Though An Amd athlon64 and Pci-E Gfx card would be much better :thumb:

-Frank

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Theres no such thing as a 3700+ Athlon XP, fastest was the 3200+ and they were all socket A (462). Its a 3700+ Athlon64...

However, it could either be a socket 939 or a 754, as there are 3700+s for both sockets (San Diego for 939, Clawhammer for 754). Do you know which it is?

4. jethro

jethro Modthusiast

my mistake its a 64. sandiego.
    do you see how someone could get confused lol

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Lol yeah i understand :D

Heard good things about the MSI K8N Neo2 if you have to have AGP, but PCI-Express really is the best way to go for future-proofing. Or you could wait and see what the ULi based motherboards with both AGP and PCI-E are like...

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

What planet are you living on?
    For starters the NF7-S is a SktA board, not 754!

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

lol opps :duh: my bad