1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Help understanding the HD Audio Front Panel pinout

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NuTech, 25 May 2011.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Hey guys,

I use the headphone jack on the front of my case very often (too often?) and today it finally decided enough was enough. The mechanism that determines whether or not something is plugged in has failed, causing the output to never 'switch on'.

Anyway, I have an idea! I never use the microphone jack next to it, so I'm hoping that I can switch around the pin headers so that the headphone output is the Mic jack and vice-versa.

However, to do this I need to get my head around the HD Audio pinout so I know which pins to switch.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping someone more electrically-minded than myself is able to understand that diagram and give me some pointers on which pins need switching.

Cheers.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

I'd presume that if you swap:

1 with 9
    3 with 5
    6 with 7

you'd get the desired effect.

3. jevy_b

jevy_b What's a Dremel?

I agree with this, but it looks more like 6 with 10 to me (rather than 7)... you're looking for a 'jack detect' pin, surely? :eyebrow:

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Actually, that could be possible if there is some kind of sensor on the front. Was thinking in terms of headphone and line signal but it looks too similar to the mic detection name. thought the 2 implied a second output.

5. jevy_b

jevy_b What's a Dremel?

Well, the microphone socket is labelled 'MIC2', so I assume they're designating the back panel ports 'MIC1' and 'LINE1'.

At a guess, I'd say the 'Front I/O Sensor' pin is either pulled low or high when the cable is attached to signify to the software that there is a front panel present :)