1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help upgrading to a gigabit network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YEHBABY, 27 May 2010.

1. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I have a dlink dir615 router with a built in 10/100mbps supplied by virgin. This is used to link by wire 2 PCs and a PS3. I have a laptop linked by wireless. I intend to add a NAS box so would like to speed up my network.

Do I have to replace the router with a more expensive model with 1000mbps built in or can I just add a switch and link everything to switch and then attach switch to router and everything run at 1000mbps?

My only concern is that I have read that you need everything on network to be gigabit or everything reverts to 10/100mbps.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That sounds like a good setup, as then all the machines would access the NAS at gigabit speeds. I'm sure your internet doesn't run at 100Mb, so you'll suffer no bottle nects there either.

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

It's not the internet connection I am concerned about as I only have a 10meg connection. It is that the hub built into the router is 10/100mbps and I want my network to run at 1000mbps and not revert to 10/100.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'll need the switch to get that.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Keep your router and buy a switch. All you will have to do is plug a cable from your router to your switch (might require a crossover cable) and then plug everything (computers, consoles) in the switch. Your devices will be connected in gigabit only if you have cat-5e or cat-6 cable

This is what I use along with my crappy Dlink dir624 :

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36827&vpn=TEG-S80G&manufacture=TRENDnet

With decent cables and not too much activity it can transfer from one machine to another at up to 62MB/s.

What's cool with this kind of basic setup is you can still use your wifi and won't even have to configure anything. It'll just... work

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

EDIT: Excuse the double posting. The server was timing out and I sent the message twice

7. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Thanks guys

I'll order the switch.