1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Help! Why are there different types of 6-pin PCIE connector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oggyb, 28 Jun 2011.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

correct me if i am wrong, but it's a "double rail" psu. the manual i found list the pci-e and the molex on the same rail as well as the sata, floppy, etc...

i just can't imagine that 17 amps is going to get it done. i am telling you now, this will do harm in the long run. disregard if you want. the ocp won't kick in until 27 amps is going out on that rail, but you start pulling that much down a molex and pci-e, and you are asking for trouble, not just your card and psu, but the rest of your rig.

good luck

Oggyb likes this.
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

I think you are confusing rails with wires. Each wire will have power from 3 different rails, usually 3.3v, 5v and one of the 12v rails and each connector will send the relevant voltage to the relevant place, so devices that require a molex can have both 12v and 5v if they require it.

Your 12v rail is divided into 2 by limiters (so you only have 2 12v rails), one is limited to 15A and the other to 17A, these will be designated to power different combinations of devices. It could be that one powers the CPU and the other powers everything else that needs 12v.

I could go into more depth but as your computer is happily playing crysis 2 at a high resolution, a game that consistently draws more power than most (on my rig at least) you should be ok.

You might be lucky that the 6 pin connector you have connected the molex to 6 pin is the one that draws the least power out of the 2 on your card, it is with mine.

Edit: trig could you link the manual on here? does it say anything about the motherboard power?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
    Oggyb likes this.
  3. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Trig, when I can afford, I'll get a higher power PSU. That's a given. At the time I wanted something that was cheap but ace, which the EarthWatts is.

I'm not an electrician. There are somethings I'm very knowledgeable about, but figuring out PSU systems is not one of them. If you're convinced I'm going to destroy my rig, I'll take heed.

The manual I have from Antec gives no detailed information on the design.

4. trig

destroyed is a strong word lol, but i can't imagine you won't start having issues. the psu has multiple levels of protection, so real damage is unlikely, but gpu's have a history of crapping out when they don't get the juice they need...eventually. not to mention your os corrupting if you get bsod's and random crashes...do what you can. at least it is a very low power gpu...

deders,
    here you go buddy...

5. Deders

Deders Modder

So basically the CPU is on rail 2 and everything else is on rail 1. 17A will not be enough for everything running fully stressed but so long as you don't use furmark you might be ok.

Strange that is says the over current protection will kick in at 25A for 12v rail, is there anything else that will kick in to stop more than 17A going through the 1st 12v rail?

6. trig

nah...basically it probably just flat out won't do much more, and a component will crash. ur right, definitely no furmark. wouldn't overclock right now either...

7. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Good find. My manual tells me basically nothing! I guess it's reasonable that the processor is on a rail of its own and everything else is on the other. I remember Anandtech tested the PSU up to 110% (delivering its full 336W) and the voltage on the 12V rails dropped 0.5%. That's pretty good.

Would I basically solve my problem entirely by selling the 380 and getting a 500?

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Just read some of Jonnyguru's review of the earthwatts 500 where he tried to overload the 12v rails to see which went to which cable, it turns out that his suspicions were confirmed that it is 1 large 12v rail, the 17A 'limits' were purely there on the sticker to satisfy ATX spec at the time. he managed to pull 30A without the unit shutting off.

Given the 25A limit in the manual and the fact your PC is running ok, I'd say something similar is happening with yours and you'll probably be ok. Still can't be absolutely sure but the evidence points this way.

9. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I'll leave it as it is, because it is seemingly very happy. I'll upgrade at the earliest opportunity though.

Thanks for the help and warnings!

10. trig

sounds like a plan...i love the rep...DOOM AND DEATH!