1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Help with model

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Asulc, 29 Aug 2009.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Hey everyone
    First off, I feel bad for asking this but my computer is starting to go on the fritz and sketchup is not working with it.
    Second, my request...

I am planning a scratch build computer to replace the one I currently have. My complaints with it (other than obviously it not working well) are that it is very big and its too loud for my tastes. Therefore the goals for the new computer are as follows, in order of priority.

1) Small, on the size of ITX
    2) Quiet, I would really like to not be able to hear it while surfing the internet or when it is on idle
    3) Looks, the case needs to be unobtrusive and not flashy like many gamers seem to think is necessary
    4) Power, enough for light occasional gaming, I am losing interest in gaming anyway
    5) Upgradeable, I don't want to have to design and buy an entirely new computer when this one becomes too slow

I have a few ideas so far on what I am thinking in terms of the design and layout of the case.

I would like it to be built from acrylic, preferably black, or maybe thin aluminum. I want the computer to be very light but also be able to be cooled very well.

I have been looking at pico-psu's, but I am worried that they would not give enough power to be able to run the computer...

So that leads me to my proposed specifications at the moment.

Zotac 9300 m-ITX
    Intel e7400
    OCZ Blade 4gb
    XFX 4770
    Sony Slim DVD Drive
    Western Digital 500gb
    OCZ Agility 60gb

I have played around with designs and feel that I have found that all this can fit into a cube-like case of 200mm (h) x 220mm (d) x 140mm (w). I like the looks of the case foot from the blackbird and firebird cases, and would like something similar to be incorporated. An 80mm fan mounted in the back would provide all the cooling, as the front of the case would be perforated or something. Whatever happens with the front vents, it still needs to be minimalistic and sleek looking. A Scythe Ninja Mini would cool the CPU.

If you want I can try and post some of my hand sketches for a better idea of my design. Basically the DVD drive is mounted underneath the motherboard and the hard drives hang from the top of the case near the front.

With these dimensions the computer would be powered by a 200 watt pico-psu (PW-200-V). However I have heard some problems with this power supply not being able to put out all 200 watts...

So anyways, enough of my rambling and back to my original request. As I am unable to use sketchup, I would really appreciate it if one of our esteemed sketchup artists would take the time to make a model for me.

Thank you again for all the help you give and sorry for the long post.

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If you don't make it so small, it's easier to keep the pc completely silent.
    With larger heatsinks, larger and slower fans can be used. More room for sound insulation around the hdd's, and more room for upgrades.

3. vils

vils What's a Dremel?