1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help With Picking A Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Promethus, 28 Nov 2013.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Hi

I am looking for suggestions on a rack mountable switch.

Currently, I am using 2 desktop switches, an 8 port Edimax one and a 5 port Belkin one, and plugging in and unplugging things as and when needed. I am also in the process of running CATx cable around the house and back to a rack in my office. I currently have several computers, media devices, storage server and backup storage server. Also I have a small server that hosts a web page (when I have not broken it), and hopefully game server, and a few other things when I get time for setting it up; this is used solely for me to learn with, and no commercial application.

Requirements

At least 24 Gigabit ports, although more would be better
    As power efficient as possible. 5 days out of 7 there will only be 2/3 devices that are turned on, and so I don’t want it sucking huge amounts of power and turning most of it to wasted heat.
    Quiet, preferably has no fan, whilst I may not mind the noise, I am not sure anyone else would.
    Has a built in power unit, i.e. no external power brick
    Budget of around £200 max, I have no problem with second hand.
    It must NOT be a Netgear product.
    Management: This is where I fall flat on my face, with a total lack of knowledge in the area. The only things that jump to mind is, I would like the switch to support teaming (which I don’t know if a switch has to be managed for this) and protection for the rest of my network, for if the server that I host my web page on is attacked. I think that VLANs is the right thing for this, but I could be very mistaken.

That is all I can think of for now.

Thanks in advance
    John

(Please note I have posted this question in several locations)