1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Help with selecting my PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ivan2740, 1 May 2002.

1. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

I am thinking about doing a peltier system and need a power supply that can power a ~150w peltier.... the power supply in mind has enough watts i know, its like 750, but as for voltage and amps i'm not sure how to know what i need, etc...

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/pwn1/switchguard4.jpg

thats what the psu has, i assume thats enough? Anyways, could I just use an old AT power supply i have laying around instead of spending cash on that psu?

IvAn

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

whats the specs on ur 150w tec?? u could probably use channel 2 on that power supply depending on the tec specs....u can always hook up a couple at powersupplies together and try to run it....

3. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

You need to post the optimum volts, the ampage needed and then we can answer your question. At 12v that thing will chuck out 15 amps, which should be ok, but we need to know the TEC ampage before giving an accurate answer.

4. ivan2740

AH

Yeah I kinda forgot=)
    lets see... I was thinking about getting one of danger dan's peltiers... Is that a good idea?

Imax=16.1amps
    Qmax=156watts
    Vmax=15.8volts
    Delta Tmax=69(C)
    Size = 48mm X 48mm X 3.4mm

Those are the specs on the peltier, if you know of a better one please tell=)

IvAn

5. ivan2740

mmm

It seems that one channel wouldn't be enough to power that, but i'm not a expert on power supplies=) Anyways, i read something about using the 5v channel to get more voltage out of the other ones or something like that, anyways... yeah..

IvAn

6. pHaestus

pHaestus What's a Dremel?

7. ivan2740

Ah nice, and that could power more than just my peltier correct?
    And by the way, how would I attach a maze3 to a peltier, like do maze3's actually have a plate on the bottom or are they sold like they look in the pictures, stupid question probly, but hey just making sure=)

8. pHaestus

If you have a fan or something then you can run it off the Meanwell sure.

For Dangerden blocks they sell a Maze3-1 for people using a single pelt. I am not certain what CPU you are planning on cooling, but a highly overclocked TBird or XP with a voltage mod will probably overpower a 156W pelt. Might want to get a nice 226W one. This Mean well is PERFECT for those :)

9. ivan2740

Hmm, actually my current rig is a p3 1ghz but I am planning on getting a duron for this project.... Most of it is because i can get a duron 1.3 ghz for like 60 bucks(AH CHEAP!!!) and after overclocking it outpreforms some athlons, but the main reason is because hey, i want to! looks interesting and theres alot i can learn from it... not to mention the silence *ah* of watercooling vs air.... Do you think i would need a 226 peltier for a duron? I heard they were alot cooler than athlons and tbirds, so I don't know if i'd need one, but if i did the price is only a few dollars more, so its no biggy...

Hey, as far as radiators go, what do you suggest?
    I've seen alot about the black ice extreme, big mama, dd supercube... but as they don't exactly give you specs to compare on a radiator, i'm needing advice of those who have tried it....
    Thx, IvAn

10. pHaestus

Ah a Duron. The size pelt really depends on how extreme you are going to be with the voltage. Unless you go up to 2.2-2.4V then a 156W pelt should be ok. It is hard to say without knowing what kindof wattage your CPU puts out.

I am guessing that you are new to watercooling. If that is the case, I would humbly suggest that you buy a waterblock that can be used with or witout a peltier (Maze2-1 or Maze3-1 come to mind) and initially just set up and run a water cooled rig for a while. When you feel really comfortable with the water cooling loop you have (I tore mine down several times the first couple months and redid it) THEN insulate and add a pelt. You'll have a pretty good idea what to expect from your CPU then in terms of wattage.

If you haven't bought the CPU yet, a 1600+ XP isn't so much more expensive than a Duron (about the cost of a TEC different actually) and you'll get better performance from one.

For radiators, heater cores are hard to beat if you can fit them in the case. This is expecially true with big pelts coming into play. Just go to a local auto parts store and pick up a copper/brass core of suitable size. For more detail on radiators (and tons of advice on choosing parts for a total system) see this article:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/

11. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I would recommend you also read this article:http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/pelt-technology_explained_-ric.shtml

Though technical, it is a good article on the basics of pelts. On the same site under the watercooling section is a great article on all aspects of cooling, including pelts, which I would always recommend reading. http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/cooling_technologies_explained.shtml is the link.

Other than procooling, www.overclockers.com has some good stuff on pelts. There is a good article that I saw on condensation, but I'm at work so will have to look later for you.

I would definately agree with pHaestus on the maze2-1 or 3-1. I got the Swiftech for my first system. Now I've gone pelting I have a waterblock as an aunament and have had to get a maze. The 1 series is great as they give you the choice to change your mind.

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

ph comes in usin his big words........confusing all us less beings........

yea if ur new to wc or if ur not going to oc the u really shouldnt use a tec.....but if ur wondering for that tec i would use a powersupply that wuz atleast 300w w/ 12v@14amp...

13. ivan2740

Ah cool, Basically I was planning on going with water cooling to gain some experiance before i spend more money and delve into peltiers... If i got a heater core, would I have to make modifications to it? If so, thats where my experiance ends=) I am do not own a dremmel, i have never sodder'ed, and I don't own many tools for modding, like table saws or etc. So getting a heater core could end up costing alot more than a radiator premade if I had to get a dremmel and or sodder'
    And yeah, thanks for the links and all=)
    IvAn

So what I gathered from that radiator article you posted was to either A. get a heatercore from a car or whatnot... B. buy a bigmomma.
    Hm

Last edited: 3 May 2002
  14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

really all u need to modd a heater core is a hack saw, some jb weld, and some fittings.....and ur good to go.....btw dont know if u know this but a heatercore and a biggmomma are one in the same....bigmomma is just what they call a certin heatercore...

15. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Maybe you should just stick with a BiX for now..till you feel good enough to buy and mod a heater core. Watercooling is not totally silent..sounds like a mini waterfall in my room when i wake up every morning :D

16. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

lol what didnt u fill the air trap up fully?

17. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Well its about 3/4 full but it splashes a bit...I'm expecting the crocodile hunter to come out and say *aussie accent* "TODAY WE ARE LOOKIN FOR THE ELUSIVE DAINJA DEN WATABLOCK!" lol :lol:

18. ivan2740

LoL...

Btw, what is jb weld?
    jb.... *thinks*

Tags: