1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kyro, 22 Apr 2006.

1. Kyro

Kyro What's a Dremel?

I'm having problems with My Norton Secutiry Center.
    -I can't sign into my MSN messenger, because my norton Firewall is blocking it from doing so.
    -Can't delete Norton off my comp.
    -Everytime i open my Norton Security Center, It'll show an error screen.
    -Can't check emails
    -Can't view sites such as symantec.com, AVG, etc.
    -I've downloaded Spybot, and will download some other programs like firewalls, Anti Virus, etc. But i've download Spybot and i can't access everything.
    -I think i opened a virus on MSN, cause i accidentaly open something that said, "HEY IS THIS YOU"

PLEASE HELP.

EDIT
    I'm going to delete NIS once i can actually open it.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Hi Kyro, welcome to Bit!

If you know the name of the file (or the process that's behind it) you can usually google for removal instructions. That might help you get rid of the nasty stuff.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Backup your work.
    Format and start again.

Sounds like youve hosed it beyond redemption and the easiest thing to do now would be to reinstall windows.

4. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Go to the Symantec website (at a freinds house if you can't get it at home). And look for the norton manual removal tools in the support section.

You can always remove Norton if you try hard enough.

5. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

What you need *see this problem at work all the time*, is SysNrt, Nortons Reg cleaner, and Batch file. Run all three of those, and it should clean everything up pretty damn well.

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yup, had a friend who had this exact same problem, NIS went mad, and crashed every time you tried to load it up and basically blocked all the useful, not port-80-http traffic on his PC.
    NIS removal tool sorted it nicely. :) :thumb:

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Why not try stopping the service from starting in msconfig, not only that but remove any startup programs relating to norton in the startup tab of msconfig.

Yet another reason not to use Norton :p

9. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Take it from me - I support old people with Norton every day - MAConfig does not kill off Norton Firewall - we havent managed to work out how to do this yet... I know because for every 10 people who buy Viavoice, 9 are computer illeterate and have Norton - not a good combo.

I'd go to a mates house and put avg and a spyware scanner as well as the NIS removal tool on a disk, disconnect from the internet and go for it!

10. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If the above post is the case...

Try a program called Advanced Uninstaller Pro and use it to remove Norton and/or remove it from the startup and clean the registry. It is somewhat better than msconfig, as well as faster and more stable. It's worth a try before doing a full reformat.