1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by St3alth, 10 Mar 2005.

1. St3alth

St3alth What's a Dremel?

ok i got a 250watt psu and i was wondering will my pc get mest up if i use that psu for like 1week then i will get a better one heres what i got in my rig
    pentium4 2.6ht
    bfg6800gt oc 256mb
    1hdd
    2cdrom drives
    1 rear fan
    1gig of ram

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

What kind of 250 watt? a good one should be fine till you get a better one. but if its a cheap 250 watt then i wouldnt even bother.

3. St3alth

St3alth What's a Dremel?

The brand of it is bestec it came with my hp that i bought 1yer ago

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i can just about garauntee you that a system with those specs will not run stably on a generic 250w power supply, the main culprit being a 6800GT

I'd be quite surprised if you even managed to get a week out of it in the system.
    you are unlikely to damage anything by underpowering it, but i still wouldnt like to run it with that kind of drain for fear of some spectacular pyrotechnics :baby: (not really, but it may overheat something fierce which could have negative effects on the rest of the system)

I'd suggest just leaving the system off until you get a new power supply.

out of interest, on the side of the PSU, what amperage does it say the +12v line is rated for?

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I wouldnt be surprised to hear the system failed to boot up period. Just dont bother. Theres way too much risk.

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

If it came out of a HP then while yes its a reliable PSU, but it was used for powering more low end hardware like a celeron, 5400 rpm hard drive and ect.