1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm....more memory or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darth Joules, 19 Sep 2006.

1. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Even though I'll be building a whole new PC soon, I'm contemplating on adding some more RAM to my current gaming PC (see my sig below for specs).

It currently has 2x 512MB sticks of Cosair Twin XMS Pro PC3200 (2-3-3-7) in it. Unfortunantely my mobo only has 3 DIMM slots. What would be best....1 more stick of 512MB or 1 stick of 1GB? I cannot justify completely replacing the current RAM. I also notice that current XMS Pro RAM has a tighter latency (2-3-3-6), what effect would having RAM of different latencies be, if any?

The RAM upgrade is really a quick fix as I getting fed up seeing how many bars of the Star Spangled Bar and other ditties I can sing whilst Photoshop renders out some of my work. The new PC will take over artwork duties once built.

2. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

Iirc, the third slot on the nforce 2 motherboards is somewhat useless; I can't remember what, but using that slot made you take a not insignificant performance hit, probably negating the extra memory. I'd go with a gig stick, but I'm not 100% certain on this, your manual (ha) should be able to tell you.