1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Holding Aluminium together

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yoda3850, 25 Mar 2008.

1. yoda3850

yoda3850 VaporMod extraordinaire

I have a few questions
    1. how would i go about holding an Alu sheet to an Alu frame without using screws? i want to remove the sheet later so i can't use JB weld.
    2. What metals can i attach to aluminium so that i won't get galvanic erosion?
    3. every list needs a 3.

Any response will be greatly appreiciated. Thanks

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Rivets
    Bolts

Alum. Steel. Copper. etc.

Why do you anticipate galvanic erosion? Absolute worst case scenario, you could use some anti-seize or light oil as a barrier.

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte to occur, that is a conductive liquid, unless its going to get wet youll be fine.

Moriquendi

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, agree with the above comments, you'll only get corrosion if you have the metals in contact with something that conducts, are you planning to use liquids in the vicinity? You will always get an electron flow between dissimilar metals but usually its not noticable unless you do something to accelerate the process. I once saw a one inch thick Al block after three weeks in seawater clamped to a stainless steel frame, it was in pretty bad shape due to the sea water acting as a very good electrolyte.

Re holding the Al sheets together, you could use self tapping screws. Simply drill a clearance hole in the sheet and a matching pilot hole in the other piece, it should be a little bit less than the diameter of the thread of the screw. Self tappers are (or should be) made from a hardened material so that they will cut their own thread in soft materials, Al sheet is deal for this.
    I would suggest that you do a test fit on some scrap material of the same thickness and type before you actually start for real, you may have to vary the size of the pilot hole depending on how thick the Al sheet is and what grade of material its made from. Typical Al sheets are actually an alloy of aluminium as pure Al is very soft (a bit like chewing gum if you try to drill it) so they mix it with other metals to create something called Duaraluminium (Dural for short) which is the most common form of Al you see. Of course you could go nuts and get aircraft grade material but its at least three times the price if not more.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Velcro, magnet sheets(*shudder*, but probably your best bet) ...That gummy stuff they use in schools to put posters on concrete, blood.
    They also sell a clear glue that's like the stuff on the back of price tags. It's nasty stuff, but you can remove and re-apply the plate like that.

6. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly