1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics holla, please help with lighting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tipsterb, 10 Nov 2003.

1. tipsterb

tipsterb What's a Dremel?

holla, at school im doin a project with making a light, and i was thinking of using a cathode or sumthink like that, cause it gives off alot of light in all directions, tho, i need it to run of the mains, 230v, now i get i will need a stepdown transformer to get down to 12v, but does the ac matter?

thanks for readin, hopfully u can help:)

2. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

As long as the transformer puts out DC it should be ok

3. rich_bytes

rich_bytes What's a Dremel?

Cathode inverters need DC to operate and transformers by themselves always output AC. You could use a plug in 12v transformer or something like it that has a rectifier built in so it outputs DC and power the cathode from that.

4. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

You should do something like this:

Line voltage>Switch>Fuse>Transformer>Diodes>PI filter/Capacitive>12V Regulator>Capactior>Branch>Switch>Inverter>CCFL

-Add in a fan/heatsink if you are pulling more than 1.5 Amp out of a power regulator.
    -Capacitors for the PI filter or capactior only will need to have at or above input voltage.
    -You may need a small capacitor across the leads of the output regulator (0.1uf) to reject high frequency noise caused by branch components.
    -When utilizing a a 12v regulator, keep in mind of the ripple rejection characteristics. eg LM317 has a typical rejection of 65dB, use capacitive input filtering to raise it to 80dB.
    -To find the capacitor requirement, use this equation:
    %Vr1=Vr/Vi*100 and Cf=2.4*I/V
    Ex: Powersupply must put out 10v at 200mA with maximum dilation of 1% of 10v either way.
    1*10/100=0.1v (Can only dilate either way plus or minus 0.1v)
    Put into capacitor equation which will equal 4800uF. (convert Farads)

Note: This is for a linear power supply, switching powersupply will have greater effeciency(sp) and less heat output.

5. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

no real transformer puts out DC. Those ones with internal rectifiers dont really put out useful DC, it still needs filtering.

Xiachunyi :

overkill, he doesnt need to build a psu, just a 12 volts DC source

all u need is a wall transformer with 12 volts output at about 300 ma or more to run that inverter.

6. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

just get a wallwart, i got a 12v one for $2 and it ran both my cathodes and a few 80mm fans easily, i picked it up from a second hand store

7. tipsterb

tipsterb What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, lots of help there :), ill go out get the stuff, and c what happens, thanks again guys,