1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Home Server Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModMonkey, 31 Mar 2010.

1. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Its another one of those posts asking for comments, critiques and suggestions on a new server build for home.

I had a server until recently that was made up of lots of old bits and pieces that finally died enough to warrant a complete rebuild. I'll be using WHS since I have a license and was impressed enough with it last time. Considering 3 hard drives went at different times I was happy not to lose any data at all.

Budget is under £1000 preferably about £850

So to the specs. I am reusing a E6850 CPU and a couple of sticks of 2Gb DDR2 so there are mobo limitations.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
    HardDrives - 6 x WD 2Tb Greens (Although I have always used Samsungs in the past so I'm unsure on these ones)
    PSU - I get all noobish here. By my calculations this setup will draw about 200w tops, but I'm struggling to find a PSU at that wattage. I'd REALLY like modular as I have wire ocd. Will a higher wattage psu (600w) draw more power if its only being asked for 200w? If not I'm looking at this one... Coolermaster 600W

I also may add a slimline DVDRW that I have knocking around. Depends how I choose to use it.

I love configuring new PC's right up until the point where I have to hit the BUY button.... then it all gets a bit worrying. :duh:

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

For PSU, the Corsair CX 400w will be fine (it's what I use in mine), if you insist on modular then Corsair HX 450w

If you use the WD20EARS be aware that at the moment WHS has an issue with them, the issue being the format seems to store 4,096 bytes per sector instead of the standard 512, see Here, you might want to go for the Samsung F3 EcoGreem 2TB...
    ________
    Washington dispensaries

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's no issue really, just use the 7-8 jumper and use them with a single partition. Personally, for WHS, I would buy a super cheap 30GB SSD and install the OS onto that - keep that completely separate from your data.

WHS makes a second partition on your boot drive - so if you use a 4k drive you'll have to use the WD Align utility once after you install the OS, but I would avoid putting the OS onto the drive altogether.

We've got an article coming this Friday looking at XP and Win7 performance with 4k drives :)

Do NOT buy a Silent Pro. Harry and I both used them and they both died after 6 months. The OCZ ModXStream Pros are pretty good and quite cheap, but you don't need much power - 400-500Ws are plenty.

4. ModMonkey

This is something that I really wanted to do, however I was under the impression that WHS requires a 60Gb boot disk in order to create the initial DATA partotion. Maybe thats only if the initial build include just one drive (mine did). Certainly when I tried my 36Gb Raptor was rejected.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, I'm not buying for at least a couple of weeks.

Good to know, BUT... if I buy a higher wattage PSU will it pull more power than is require and essentially waste it, or will it just pull the ~200w it requires?

Modular is just my little piece of crazy:worried:!! I'll check the Samsungs but I think the WD's have rotational speed advantages when used whereas the Sammy's are just plain 5400. Still need to get my head around these Green specs!

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It will just not use more power so you will be overselling yourself.

I didn't know it required 60GB - in which case, uh, crap :/ Unless you get a Kingston V-Series 64GB

6. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

I think it needs 80g for OS, just rebuilding mine for the weekend

7. ModMonkey

Apparently its in the 70Gb region. Which considering the Landing Zone has been removed is just plain annoying. Any other system I have my data on separate disks...