1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Homemade Fusion Reactor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Mar 2007.

1. zero0ne

zero0ne Member

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Cheers r4tch3t. I used to know the basics of how a fusion reaction works, but I have forgotten and can't really be a***d to learn everything again.

I was only using Spiderman 2 as an example of how the reaction itself is or can be a self sustaining one, not the way it was done.

I found nuclear fusion to be one of the most interesting subjects in A-Level physics, but also one of the hardest. Soo many equations and values to learn, revising for that exam (well most physics and maths A-Level exams) was hell. Remember having pages and pages of equations to learn.

3. gpw111

gpw111 New Member

I thought heavy water was the same as H20 except the hydrogens have an extra neutron each(they are heavier but still hydrogen - ie an isotope).

Also i'm not convinced about this guy doing fusion. one of the reasons - afaik - that it cannot be sustained is that even if you can heat the core of the reactor to the desired temperatures (hotter than the sun that is) the plasma has to be contained within a very temperamental EM field. The energy is usually lost by the plasma touching the sides of the container (even if only briefly) resulting in huge energy losses. Seeing as how the multimillion pound reactors struggle to do it, i doubt he stands much of a chance.

I have previously heard how people believed they were carrying out cold fusion by causing air bubbles in water to expand and contract extremely rapidly by vibrating them at a particular frequency. they thought fusion was occuring due to the number of neutrons that were being given off, but after 5yrs of testing it turned out these were just neutrons given off by the sun, so im sceptical about the reliance of his experiment.

Anyway! i certainly couldnt do what he's done so im not knocking it!!!

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

??? Should that be hyperbolic? :hehe: or hyperbaric?

5. friskies

friskies New Member

Remindes me of the story about that dude who made a missile in his garage:)

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Well not sea water to be exact, but seawater Is plenty abundant and deuterium can be extracted in the form of D2O/Deuterium oxide or even DHO Deuterium Hydrogen Oxide. Basically water with the hydrogen having a Neutron.
    Canada is the largest "manufacturer" of Deuterium.
    [​IMG]
    This is the reaction taking place in the large reactors like ITER and JET, The type of fusion this Guy would be using is most likely D-D which releases less once fused 12.5MeV compared to 17.6 for D-T reactions. Thats only 70% of D-T reactions.

[​IMG]
    This shows why the D-T reaction is favoured.

Tritium is produced in the reactor with Lithium around the inside of the toroid.
    For thermal neutrons: n + 6Li -> 4He + T + 4.78 MeV
    For neutrons above 2.5 MeV: n + 7Li -> 4He + T + n

Thus producing some of its own fuel.

Also note that all reactions taking place do not involve Electrons, it is all positive charges so they can confine them using magnetic fields.

The reaction also has to constantly be heated, there are several ways they can do this and they use them all, Ohmic heating (inducing a current into the plasma), neutral particle beams (firing tritium backwards opposite to the flow of the plasma so they collied and create heat, also puts the fuel in there) and electromagnetic heating (sort of like a microwave)

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I goto Eton, and he makes me feel stupid.

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I read a comment somewhere where the commenter knew the guy, apparently he was rich (and got some of the parts from specific places).
    Anyway, that's pretty cool stuff.

And Mankz, a private school doesn't make you smart (trust me on that one).

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

that dude is just crazy!
    always thought of building one my self ....

10. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

dude going to eton makes you rich, not automatically clever

11. Wolfe

Wolfe New Member

It's called a Farnsworth–Hirsch Fusor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

As for the "years of design and planning" Uh... There's a couple of dozen places where the plans are freely available.

It's not too hard to make either. You just need a high vacuum system, a source of high voltage, and some deturium.

Now, if he had invented a new method of producing fusion, that would be cool. Copying plans off the web? Boring.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow :eeek: just wow

13. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff New Member

If you find this boring don't know what will make you excited :eyebrow:

You can find plans for almost anything on the internet, but that doesn't mean you don't have to plan for it or that it is simple.
    And remember this kid was only 15 when he started building this, how many kids are there that can build a fusion reactor?
    I find it very impresive.

14. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

He wins at life.

15. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Touché.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

You do it. Then come back and Pwnz0r him.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

"uh, dad. I kinda acidentally made a fission reactor and enriched it with a plutonium core...I'd suggest running, but it won't really make a difference.

What's mom making for dinner?"

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

You are aware that there are only 18 documented successful home-built reactors in the world, right? I've seen plans for all sorts of things on the net - sorting fact from fiction is hard enough, much less actually making them come to light without a supreme understanding of the technologies within. We're not exactly talking about a pile of legos making a "pirate ship with a neat glowey ghost in the brig that you can even open!"...

As Nexxo so kindly put before me, when YOU do it, I'll be happy to hear how easy it was. ;)

"Eh, the Sistene chapel was just a painting. All you need is some scaffolding, paint and a bursh. Now if he did it with a monkey, THEN it would be special..."

:thumb:

19. unrealhippie

unrealhippie New Member

Fission has no place here :p

P.s. I wonder what social services think of parents who let their kids make reactors... Especially one with the big scary 'nuclear' word.

20. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Simianene Chapel :p

Tags: Add Tags