1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics homework help...urgent

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ido, 20 Mar 2003.

1. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Can you fry an LED if the voltage and amps are over its tolerances even if it is hooked up wrong = current not going through it?

2. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

in what way is it connected wrong? If its connected the wrong way round (ie, cathode is more positve than anode) it is possible to fry it...

g

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah but they have to be pretty high, cascade voltage i belive they call it, when the diode has too much current trying to get through it the wrong way.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

'reverse bias' and yeah, over a certain amount it'll die :)

5. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

thanks for the quick replies. Yea, i ended up putting that it would fry the LED. Sorry that I couldn't be more specific, the exercise was in french so I didn't know how to translate a lot of the scientific terminology.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not that high, 5v max reverse voltage is the usual spec. They'll often stand a few volts more, but connect one wrong way round to a 9v battery and you've a dead led. :waah:

7. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

doesn't it depend largely on amperage, too?

oh no, you're out 20 cents! :rolleyes: :lol:

8. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hehe, reminds me of the time when I was trying to explain this to a friend, I connected it the wrong way over a 9V battery, yet it still worked, making me look like a right fool, then i said 'right you little F£$^%"£' and connected it through 30V 350mA reverse bias, AND IT STILL WORKED! :eeek: Dem thing just wouldn't die :lol: