1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Hosting games through a router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maki43, 17 Jun 2004.

1. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Ok, ive got a problem. Every game i have i cannot host at all. I know this is due to me having a router but i dont really know how to configure it so that it will work for me.

Im specifically trying to get worms armageddon to work, this is what thier support site says:

7.6 Port information for network connection via firewalls
    To ensure successful usage your machine requires outgoing connections on TCP ports 80 and 6667, as well as on TCP ports 17010, 17011 and 17012. If you want to be able to host a game you will have to redirect incoming packets on the TCP ports to your machine.

Where do i put these numbers in the router? To make things more compicated we have 3, yes 3, routers in the one system so do i put the settings into all 3 routers or the one that is providing internet connection and dhcp?

The config atm is a modem/router providing gateway and dhcp. The other two act as more ports onto the network and a wireless access point.

Thanks for ne help :clap:

2. RTT

RTT #parp

You should have a page in your router config looking something like:

Code:
    +------------+----------+---------------+
    | Start Port | End port | IP Address    |
    +------------+----------+---------------+
    |            |          |               |

Start port would be e.g. 6667, end port being 6667 and IP being the IP of your machine :thumb: This simply means patch port 6667 on your wan port to Your-machines-internal-IP:6667

Add an entry for each one, or if you can add a range in for the 17xxx ports

(I guess the wording would be similar to that anyway)

3. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Ok you should have something called port forowerding or a vertual server in the router config. on the first router tell it any incomming info on those ports should got to router 2 then in router 2 send any incomming info on thoses ports to router3. then in router 3 sent any incomming info on thoses ports to the ip of the pc hosting the game. public port = the wan side of the router and privite port = the lan side of the router. keep both # the same all the way through. Dont like do public port 6667 trafic goes to privite port 6 then to 9 then back to 6667 you'll just get confused

4. maki43

Yeah i thought it had something to do with the virtual server, was tinkering with it but didnt think of doing it router to router like that. Ill give it a go :D

Nearly there rtt ;) :p

5. jake

jake Network Gawd

Worth also noting that you only need to do the port forwarding on routers that are doing NAT/firewalling. if the other routers are fulfilling the actual function of a router [ie routing packets from one network to another without translating or blocking anything] then they won't need any changes.

J

6. maki43

Ok. I tried what wood shop said, setting the virtual server to serve to the next server and so on to my computer. I wasnt able to try this but apparently from what jake said this is not needed as the other routers dont have NAT/Firewall.

So i tried it on the dhcp server. I put the ports 17010, 17011, 17012, 6667, and 80 in public/private and directed them to by computer ip.

This caused there to be no internet connection on any pc on the network, so much so i had to return the router to factory defaults.

So im still stumped! Should i set my dmz to this computer too on all routers?

7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Are the non connection providing routers just acting as switches? Could you draw a diagram of how your connected to the 3 routers + there model information?

Matt

8. maki43

Ok. Ive been able to remove one of the routers as ive realised it was not needed anymore so now i have two in the following configuration:

[​IMG]

The only other things connected to the network is another desktop pc by cable and a laptop by wireless. On both routers i have set my computer to DMZ. On the first router NAT is disabled and on the second router NAT and firewall are disabled.

These are the screens i get to configure the ports:

[​IMG]
    on the SMC

[​IMG]
    on the belkin

If i put the ports into the SMC and telling it to go directly to 192.168.1.28 the internet connection goes down.

Ok any more thoughts :idea:

9. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Well someone corruct me if i'm wrong. but unless thosse ip's are fabericated. I'd think that both routers giving out 192.168.1.* addresses whould cause problems. unless you got them limited 192.168.1.0-26 and 192.168.1.27-... ... ... ... ... I could be compleatly worng on this. but it just stands out in my mind wrong somehow. <-- it's a possable reasion that the net failed when you did the routing

10. maki43

You would be correct if the second router had the dhcp enabled :)

Its disabled only the first one is assigning addresses!

Ive sorta sorted the problem in the short term. Ive got my trusty froggy modem out and ive got a network cable running from the port downstairs to my upstaris computer so i can access with no router. I can only do this when no one is using adsl on other computers tho :/

11. jake

jake Network Gawd

Ok,

I've just had a peek at the manual for your belkin and the SMC and I think I possibly see the problem here. The problem appears, based on the diagrams and descs, to be because you have two devices doing NAT which is both pointless in your situation and highly confusing overall. What you want to do is use the belkin as a wireless AP and a switch and ignore the rotuer functionality of it. The simple way to do this is to not configure the internet part of your belkin and only configure the wireless part with the 192.168.1.0/24 network address. Then connect your SMC to the belkin _NOT_ using the WAN port and instead using one of the regular 1-3 ports. Then your PC also goes into one of the 1-3 ports leaving one spare for other devices. The connectivity will then look, logically, something like

[​IMG]

Then you configure the port forwarding or DMZ on the SMC and it should all fall into place.

alternatively you could configure the SMC as a bridge [instructions in the manual] so that it passes the ISP IP address directly onto the Belkin. The SMC is then connected directly to the WAN port on the belkin, the internet port of the belkin is configured with the ISP address, the other side is configured with 192.168.1.0/24 and then the belkin becomes the point at which all your DMZ/port forwarding/NAT is done.

Either way works tbh, it really depends how you ant to do it.

HTH

J

12. maki43

Interesting about the bridging, the belkin software is much easier to use so might do it that way. Thanks for the sugestions and ill get back to how it goes :D

13. maki43

Ive changed the setup now so that the only router in the equation is the SMC. Here is what the network looks like now:

[​IMG]

The smc is plugged into the hub uplink port and povides a DHCP. My computer connects to it and is assigned an ip. Here are the following virtual server settings:

[​IMG]

It is set to the right ip of my pc and the dmz is also to my pc.

IT STILL DOESNT WORK!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

i dont understand how it cant now! All other routers have been eliminated and the ports are pointing to my pc!

I quote from the worms site:
    I have set all ports but 80, as that is the http port and if i set my machine to get all incoming http then no one else can access web pages etc. Also with 6667 being an irc port, no one can use this but me!

I really dont understand this now :(

14. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

now leace those 4 alone and type them all over again but a upd becoue they don't seem to say if it's tcp or upd or even some other one that ain't an option there. Also how are you testing this?? have you tried just having them connect via ip tou yur server instead of hoppin it appears on the list?.

15. jake

jake Network Gawd

They're definately TCP as it explicitly states this on other sources for worms:armageddon. Have to say I'm a little out of ideas as well since the setup screens you've put captures up look absolutely nothing like the ones in the manual to the SMC 7401 I downloaded.

Also just a minor point but setting a redirect on port 80 incoming should not affect other peoples web browsing since they establish a connection to port 80 on the remote host. The originating port will not be 80. If setting such a redirect is causing other machines problems then something is a little kaka.

J

16. maki43

Im trying it by trying to host the game via the worms software. If it worked people could access the rooms i make, if they cant it doesnt work!

Ive tried it every which way like this. The next thing to do is add the 80 port to the list and hope it work. But now i have another query!

[​IMG]

Do i need to do anything with this nat page? In the drop down box there is disabled, nat, and napt.

In the sessions page at the bottom i can put in a session name and the amount of virtual circuits.

could this affect it?

17. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Looking at your diagram id suggest the following

manually configure your ip address to 192.168.0.*number out of dhcp range* and setting your gateway address to the internet router IP.

then change all the ports forwarded to the dhcp address you had to your now static ip address.

I would also try this with out DMZ enabled.

Hope this helps

Matt :thumb:

Tags: