1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How can I find the cause of an intermitent problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 30 Apr 2022.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My wife's PC has been randomly shutting down for probably over a year now and I'm fed up with it, plus hearing her yell down at me from our bedroom every time it does it.

I recently changed her ram (she only had 4gb running win 10 oops) and now has 8gb, hardly ideal but she only uses Facebook, email, you tube etc.

I also swapped out her mouse as it suddenly stopped working and i thought maybe that was causing the lock ups and shut downs and everything has been fine for about 3 weeks.... until tonight.. when i hear the dreaded GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

How can i fault find this?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If you haven't already, have a butcher's at the event log. Intermittent issues are a pain but that might be a good place to start. Is there anything it coincides with?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Presumably nothing is overheating?

As @kenco_uk says, any error codes?

These are the most annoying type of problem.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes my wife using her PC :p

Wife problems are the most annoying, agreed, she certainly overheats when it happens :)

I'll post up the event logs tomorrow and no nothing is too hot that I can see.

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Does it Bluescreen? Is the System Failure setting set to Bluescreen or Automatically restart (I don't know where these are in Windows 10 as I still access it through the old System Settings option).

6. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

7. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Run Ubuntu or Linux Mint from a USB stick to see if it's stable or still continues to shutdown.

NickCPC likes this.
  8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

My usual is the big hammer to crack a nut approach when faced with this situation.
    A compete disassembly, physical rebuild new paste etc and a new install of Windows, software etc

kim likes this.
  9. HoraceC

HoraceC What's a Dremel?

Does it have a SSD or HDD? If it is the later lock-ups could imply bad sectors/read errors. How you run drive drive diagnostics?

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've found nirsoft's suite to help sometimes in these instances - the "Bluescreen Help Identifier" or whatever it's called at least points you in the right direction. Let me grab a link...I'll be back

EDIT: This is the main page and this is the BSOD one. It does help narrow things down somewhat. Think we managed to identify a PSU culprit using it.

With regard to your previous solutions, I have heard that having somebody else provide additional RAM in the bedroom can indeed help, but there are associated trust issues.

Last edited: 20 May 2022
  11. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

How old is the hardware? Had similar problem with old PSU, it would reboot randomly withing a month from last reboot, sometimes it would last couple days, other times weeks. Basically anything with electrolytic caps and older than couple years can be a culprit, and its right on impossible to diagnose without throwing parts at it.