1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks How do I "Borrow" wifi??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wasabiboys, 14 Dec 2004.

1. wasabiboys

wasabiboys Banned

i just moved into a new house and DSL is not avaible on my side of the street, (damn verizon). i was think that i could borrow a wifi connection for a neighbor , how do i do this?? to i just get a pci card and it will appear. i am getting a usb wifi.

once i get the signal could i hook up my ps2 WIFIed off of my signal thats off of his signal

is this hard to do??

basically how do i set up a wireless network, can i just have 2 wifi cards beeming signals to each other?

thanks

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

If it's on the otherside of the street, your gonna need a big antenna. I suggest a 15db directional antenna. Just put it on your roof and sit there with netstumbler running and point it right at his router. That way, you'll get really good signal. Not that hard to do, you could have everything squared away in less than 15 minutes.

3. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

he has to either set his router to broadcast invitations or he has to have your wifi info to enter it manually.

If his router is not set to broadcast your wifi will never see it.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

He could have MAC filtering on and WEP encryption, in which case you will need access to his router. Does he know you plan on doing this?

5. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Im sure doing that would be in violation of the TOS but perhaps you could help pay for the service, and than buy a second ip address too.

6. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Actually, the whole thing with wardriving is that it's completely legal. It is the responsibility of the administrator of the network to secure it however he/she deems necessary. So, if it's an open network, get your download on, 'cause it's their own dumbass fault..

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Although I think the validity of that is debatable, I totally agree.

In any sense, there's no sense paying for it. Splitting the costs is reasonable but a router serves the purpose of the extra IPs, even if they are only local. Buying an extra IP doesn't give you extra speed, it'll just split it among the two (or more) so you're wasting money.

But let's face it, if verizon really cared about losing money, they'd offer service to your side of the street. I mean what an idiotic move.

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

My god how ignorant people are... :sigh: :eyebrow:

If you knew about wardriving, you'd know that you don't connect to any networks. That's illegal and therefore not exactly a great idea. It's completely legal to wardrive because wardriving has nothing to do with stealing someone else's bandwidth.

Either help him pay for it and strike a deal with him, or don't have the internet.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I've set up my wireless network last week, and I barely get a signal after 3 walls and a floor, so I doubt you'll get a signal from across the street (unless you live in a narrow street and have very thin walls) unless you have an amplifier. And theres encryption to think about - how do you know the neighbour got wireless anyway?

If you connected it all right, then I think you should be able to connect the PS2.

ps. If you're gonna 'borrow' the connection, you're gonna have to give it back later, which technically doesn't work! :hehe:

10. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

On Topic:

Set up a router in my house and i cant get a connection from the other end of the hall way, the router is behind a wall, maybe 2 from my room and i cant even see it ;).. If i mive into the hall i just about get it. I find a pringles tube and a wire strainer does the trick

Anyhow, accross the street is easy if you get a decent amplifier :D

Off topic:

bor·row P Pronunciation Key (br, bôr)
    v. bor·rowed, bor·row·ing, bor·rows
    v. tr.
    To obtain or receive (something) on loan with the promise or understanding of returning it or its equivalent.

To adopt or use as one's own: I borrowed your good idea. ( I borrowed your wireless connection?? )

In subtraction, to take a unit from the next larger denomination in the minuend so as to make a number larger than the number to be subtracted

... I think he fits into the second one? :D

Proph.

11. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I don't get it... :blah:

12. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

:thumb: thats so true.. the best point made yet... btw, i have no idea what all that 'In subtraction, to take a unit from the next larger denomination in the minuend so as to make a number larger than the number to be subtracted
    '... :eyebrow: :confused:

13. Nath

It means that when you're doing subtraction with one number above another (set out on a piece of paper for example), and want to take 8 from 5, you would borrow 3 from the next column along.
    *hopes that memory of maths from about six years ago is correct*

14. bazorama

bazorama What's a Dremel?

well if the guy has any brains he would be running WEP in which case u would need to go into his house and "adjust" his network settings allowing u to access it, if he is running a domain controller that will casue evern more problems

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Or get a lucky guess. My wep key is 00000 :p I'm not dumb enough to keep anything critical on a computer that insecure and if my neighbors are able to guess that then they deserve the bandwidth IMHO. Especaially considering one of my other neighbors (me and two others have wireless of eleven on the street that I can pick up from my room!) doesn't have even WEP enabled.
    Of course if he's really worried about it he'll have WPA and MAC filtering enabled in which case you would need quite a few things, a 100m Cat5e cable being the most useful lol

16. bazorama

bazorama What's a Dremel?

hehe nice key but not everyones key will be as easy as that and with a 6 digit number the chances of u guessing it are slim to none at best lol.

well as i said if u can get access to his network u can get all the details u need i dont know if u can get that thou so it may just be worth a try at gettin an antena and hope he isnt running any network protection and u may get access otherwise pay for net :p

17. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

This is a personal thing his neighbour - would you mind if I come in your house and steal your food and Drink? Of course he probably has his neighbours agreement - but wardriving at business is one thing but advocating it against people personally is wrong and thieving IMHO!

OP you ask about how - if your neighbour has a connection via one PC and no router then you need two wireless cards - both set to ad-hoc mode - and internet sharing set up..

18. Nath

*bangs head against wall*

So you're pretty much saying that wardriving is stealing internet access?
    You'll see from the bit of your quote in bold that you've said that wardriving against people personally is wrong and thieving, but if you actually understood the topic that you're talking about you'd know that wardriving isn't stealing at all, it's detecting networks! :duh: :miffed:

</rant>

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Regardless of the technicalities involved, borrowing WiFi access from a neighbour without their express permission is an illegal act, and not suitable for further "how to" discussion in this thread. :grr:

@ Wasabiboys: Do you have the neighbour's permission to do this?

20. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Doubt theres much you can teach anyone about wardriving - esp me..

Don't try to kid anyone that the aim of wardriving is anything but looking for free net access. Hence the term warchalking - you mark the point where others can get the free access. Don't get me wrong - maybe systems that are unsecure deserve it - maybe they don't but to do it against a person is wrong.

Tags: