1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i set up a radio station?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zmaster2k, 22 Dec 2001.

1. Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k You looking at me?

Obviously this is going to be purly all in my head ;)

want about a three mile radius.

How do i do it
    what do i need how much will it cost

whos done it?

2. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

what kind of format will your radio station be? am or fm?

good luck

3. linear

linear Minimodder

Start with the Ramsey FM 10A kit. Mine was about US $40 or so. You should be able to build it in a couple hours, and get on the air with a few milliwatts (= effective radius of several yards). Once you feel comfortable with that, there are a viraety of strategies for boosting your power. If you Google for Ramsey FM 10A you'll encounter a lot of info on modding the original kit, or building an outboard power amp to boost. There's a more sophisticated Ramsey kit available as well, you may opt to start there, but I recommend the cheap one.

If you really want to be clandestine, you need to be mobile (esp. true at higher power levels), so think about using 12V from your car to power things up.

Dunno what the regs are in your corner of the globe, but the limits on transmitters in the commercial FM band are pretty stringent in the US, and penalties are harsh. Lots of pirate radio info to be had on the web, though, just Google as mentioned above and go from there.

*Note: I use mine to relay the signal from my CD changer to FM radios around the house. I didn't want to pull speaker wires through my walls/outside. I just tune in to the freq where I'm broadcasting and get to hear my CDs. My kit is unmodified except that I use a linear voltage regulator in place of the lame stack of diodes supplied in the kit.

Edit: just had a look here and noticed that MP3FM kit. Yum. Also check out the amplifer LPA1 on the same page. That should get you your radius.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2001
  4. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

what are you gonna call it????

I can imagine now...

Zmaster2k on the ones and twos...big shout going out...text me on mobile 07..wicked chooooonn!!!!!

he he...

reminds me of 1992 and the saturday and sunday pirate hardcore stations!

wooohoo

5. Zmaster2k

We are thinking of doing this once a week to avoid being caught etc etc

Iam already a seperates freak (god bless you richer sounds for letting me spend my money)

but now i want to broad cast in my vilage because there are never any rock stations.

so, i have the music
    i have a mixer
    i have a cd player
    i have some decks
    i have and mos importantly a mike

i lack a transmitter and a antenna

that mp3 player tranny looks good but i doubt the range on it.

so i want to know the exact transmitter that i need (FM)

i got about £250 ($375 US) to spend so i can get a Antenna and a Transmitter

i know its not that simple but sombody somwhere must know what i mean??

Cheers

6. linear

linear Minimodder

Range is not an exact thing at all, for many reasons including wather conditions, nearby stations, buildings, sensitivity/selectivity of your listeners' receivers, etc.

I'd probably order the FM 10A (US$35), the TM 100 matched antenna kit (US$60), and the FMB1A amp (US$60) to boost you to 1 Watt.

That's US$155 the way I add it, which ought to leave you enough budget to buy the enclosures and knob kits that are made for these kits.

With 1 Watt behind you, a well-matched antenna, and a good loaction, 3 mile radius seems pretty reasonable if you can get a freq that's relatively free from contention. Good luck.

7. Zmaster2k

I was attracted to the FM100 because its easy to tune to your frequency, Where as with the FM10A there isnt the ease to tune your freq, but there is no power rating on it. But the FM100 has a filter on it which is a nice add on.

8. zebedee

zebedee What's a Dremel?

you wanna check out some of the "micropower radio" websites that are out there ... and its worth considering building your own transmitter ... a 1w with amp and everything wouldnt cost much and then you can leave it places *cough* so you dont hafta be wif it while its running *cough*

9. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

Or if you can't do that you could try internet radio? Disadvantage is that you'd have to have a PC to listen.

10. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

11. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

amateur ("Ham") radio resources?

Try getting some amateur radio resource books. These, of course, will not have a whole lot of info re true FM radio (hams tend to be a law-abiding group), but some amateur radio bands are technically FM and all you would have to do is some mods to get a broadcast onto radio FM frequencies.
    GL and don't get busted!!