1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics How Do Wire This Switch.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by maxxbasher, 2 Sep 2006.

1. maxxbasher

maxxbasher What's a Dremel?

Ok guys not Pc related but hope someone can help me out (got two questions)

Q1 Can someone tell me how i wire the below switch, the switch itself lights up green and has 3 terminals, problem is i don't know which terminal is for what, there is no instructions with the switch and the only markings on the switch is the numbers 1, 2, and 3,

Q2 The switch is going to used for air horns on my car, the air horns use a 30amp fuse but the switch is 16amp, i have been told that because the horns run off a relay that the switch will be fine as the relay takes all the load, is this correct. Cheers all, BTW Sorry crap pic.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

1. Hmm, hard to say. My educated guess is that you power and device connect to pins 1 and 2, and ground goes to 3. The problem is that the lamp could either be a 12v DC lamp or a 120v AC lamp. I'd try 12v DC first, because 120v AC isn't the best thing to play with and if you're wrong with 12V, the lamp will still work.

Now, if the power you're switching isn't the correct one for the lamp, you'd have to pile on a bunch of hacks to get it work (convert supply voltage to lamp voltage, build circuit to switch from said voltage, switch on the supply voltage for device to be switched, blah blah blah).

2. Correct.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

These switches (when sold for 12V car use) are usually wired like this
    Code:
             /
    12V----o/  o--+------ACC
                  |
              LED & Resistor
                  |
                  |
                 0V

With a multimeter on continuity test you should be able to work out which two pins are 12V (supply in) or ACC (switched supply out); in one switch position you'll have a dead short, in the other open circuit. Then try diode test position (if it's on the meter) with the switch in the open-circuit position and black meter lead to the third pin; the other pin that gives a lowish reading, maybe even makes the light glow, is the ACC pin.

It could be a lamp as whypick1 says instead of an LED, but the meter test should still pick out each pin, and a 9-12V supply (or car battery) will show if it's low voltage.