1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How long would this last me???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trenthan, 27 Dec 2008.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Ey guys im building a new system and want to know how long this system would last, also im interested in knowing if its better to buy a cheaer card and replace it every few years or one good card.***

Well this is what im looking at getting, or have

Corsair 1000W power supply (Purchased)
    Armour + (Purchased)
    2x Segate Baracuda 7200rpm 1Tb (Purchased)
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Purchased)

ASUS P6T Deluxe, or MSI X58
    Noctua NH-U12P
    Core i7 920 (For sure unless some1 has good Persuasive skills)
    4870x2, or SLI gtx280's (Leaning towards to SLI 280's)

RAM im undecided any good idea im willing to consider

Now the system above how long would it last running games and what i mean by that on average how long would it last until games become unplayable below ~30fps, on lowest quality. Im hoping 3-4years even abit longer, i dont need good graphics to keep me happy since im currently running P4 3.00Ghz, 1.5GB RAm DDR1, ATI Radeon 9550!! amd have for the last few years and im only changing since basically nothing runs on it now as expected though

If any1 has any better idea's for the parts i havent purchased please advise ill be buying the remainder of the system as of the 1st of January.

Thanks in advance Trent (Dont kill me over my current system LOL)

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

what resolution monitor do you have?

3. Trenthan

forgot that one my computer monitor is 1680x1050, but i use it on my TV alot at 1920x1080 :)

Give me both what u rekon on Monitor and TV thanks cant belive i forgot that

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

whether you want to invest a lot now in a single card, or upgrade every year or so is up to you. personally i like to buy the best value high end/mid range card and sell it on when it is still worth something (how much do you reckon you'd get for that 9550 these days?!).

as for the rest of your setup it looks pretty sweet! i'd go for the P6T deluxe, partly because its asus and partly because ive heard many good things. In terms of DDR3 memory im afraid i dont know much about it, but you can never go wrong with corsair

5. Trenthan

Yea heard abit about cosair too, and so far its been soon. As for the motherboard yes i have been leaning towards the P6t for the same reason however ive also heard the MSI should be ok with a bios flash due out soon(Could be very wrong), waiting for the Jan what to buy to c what the go is their.

As for the card well it depends, on how much the gameplay will decline each year fps wise (a guess not exact i understand no1 no's) weather i go with 1 gud card, SLI or 1 decent and change it every 1-2 years which is the reason why im asking. Weed it out a little LOL before i spend the cash.

Thanks again Trent

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Did Nvidia already correct then unability to have two screens when running SLI? I see you want to have your TV and monitor both connected.

7. Trenthan

naw sorry about that i only use 1 at a time, monitor or TV and will continue using it that way.

On my current baord it takes 20 years just to load the desktop backgroud with both displays connected.

I would rather use the TV but my monitor is fine as well but if i was to buy a new monitor it would be 1080p cant go back after blue ray :)

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep, that was fixed this year