1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How much electric will my new rig eat?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keef247, 10 Jun 2022.

1. keef247

keef247 Modder

I'm so torn guys... I worry if I go for the 6800XT it'll fail RT wise years to come and the 3080 does a good job currently and the fps difference between that and the 6800XT is ridiculous with RT on... and a lot of games don't even allow it to run on AMD I've seen in videos? the extra £200 to me for piece of mind is worth it for the 3080?

To me, the £200 is future proofing and not an issue at the point where I'm spending this sort of money anyway... I am even thinking of waiting another month so I can get my new monitor and a 2tb not a 1tb super fast pci-e 4.0 ssd so I don't regret it a month later running out of space as I'd like all my games on there and not to mess about swapping them out for lack of space - also don't want to go buying a fancy ssd/mobo and have to run a storage drive at pci-e speeds... seems very counter intuative to me. nor buy a slower second drive...

The 10gb vs 12gb thing has been messing with my head too as you keep going up another £100 don't you and suddenly you're at the 3080 then the 12gb... I started off wanting a 3070 [​IMG] then was set on a 3070ti!

I'm def the type of guy that plans the hell out of stuff and majorly regrets not waiting another month till I have the best of what I can afford/achieve. I'm very driven and patient like that... I run proper serious spec race parts on the cars I build/restore and the cost always pays off and always oem on anything that doesn't require uprating or I modify oem.

I've spent the last 12-13 years on modifying cars and drift cars and gone without everything else, I've finally got myself a new well new to me phone in the first time in like 6 years and my 2nd ever brand new 'proper' tv - the last one I got was in 2006... so I don't want cars ruling my life (plus this project is now nearly finished bar paint but I'll end up getting excited and end up engine swapping this one too next year I imagine haha) so I want this to be properly special and blow me away, you know?

I want it to be 'fit and forget' as we say with decent car parts... not scrimp now and it be 'fine' for current or 3 year old games everyone still plays that take 6-12 hours to complete then I'm only left with new high demanding games to be released, so I want it future proofed for say 5 years ideally playing SP games at 1440p and when it starts to chug in 3years onwards then i just bang on dlss and turn off ray tracing or not use it when that becomes a hog. and at the very worst when it really starts to slow down after 5 years I go back to using my current AOC 1080p moni for games and tuck the 180hz 32" 1440p away...

MP isn't an issue as i can just set the fps limit back to 180hz and lower every setting down as required over the years but tbf I'd probably only be playing csgo etc etc for years to come and anything new i'm sure will play fine with dull settings at 1440p for a few years... I mainly want a ps5/xbox destroying next gen SP experience that will blow my mind and keep me at the desk vs sloughing in a couch chair behind my consoles on the new tv.

I really regret years back spending so much on cars and not getting all the above sooner - well I do and I don't but restoring classic cars/fast road/drift cars is like supporting an addict, and it always comes first then I'd come in and play on dusty consoles on a second hand tv and just use an old macbook pro for pc shiz.

I like the idea now of coming home to a nice all round setup and completing the trifecta and having a nice rig... that way if anything breaks/annoys me on the car I have something to distract me as I put so much heart and soul into those cars it literally depresses me when they break/want for more. I literally build them from bare shells - get them strip em down replace everything. do it once do it right and all that - so that's my way with anything so if it means £200 quid here and there extra and waiting a few months or whatever I'll do it for the sake of getting it right the first time and it lasting...

Hope that makes more sense to my mindset now? I properly cherish and look after the stuff I own/build so form a proper strong bond when I build/restore/fix something and it takes my mind away from all the bs I have going on with my health etc... my toys are my release.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2022
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Until RT comes for free, it is not worth worrying about, the moment a next gen card can do it well with low resources your card will be immediately unusable in anything RT without running 720p DLSS and really what would be the point in that.

Any highend card will play games just fine for years to come. RT like Physx will just be something all cards do without breaking a sweat in a few years, that'll be the point it might start making a difference.

No point dwelling on past life experiences, there are no time machines, you enjoyed yourself at the time, reason enough for doing it, move on, get your system have fun.

Of course in a few years you look back and probably go why did I spend all that dough on PCs when I could have jsut done X, Y, Z :D :p

keef247 likes this.
  3. keef247

keef247 Modder

I'm also worried about the rumours the 4xxx cards are going to be 'twice as fast' but wether that's bs marketing nonsense or true IDK? Atleast my 3080 would become cheap surely?

Yeah don't worry I love my cars but this way I have both... I starting messing around with cars cause I'd spend so much on PC's and wanted to be out and about more lol oh sweet irony... I've loved what I've done it's just crap when you come home to bugger all and just have a sick car outside lol. But as they say "you can sleep in a car but you can't race a house!" :grin:

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In PC land there is always something better/faster around the corner, you will never win that game.

I've spent about £30k tuning and racing a £2k MX5 :eek: over the years and it still looks like a bucket ....... so I've nothing to add on that score :D

keef247 likes this.
  5. keef247

keef247 Modder

True I'm just thinking I might get lucky in oct-dec and get a 4070 for the price of a 3080 but they're saying you want a 5800x3d now and I do not want to be spending more on that as well it just never ends otherwise! but I'm hoping the price of the x3d becomes what I'm whiling to spend on the 5800x...
    £29k on 5 E36's 15k on 3 civics and an accord... SO far... and I fancy a k24 rotrex swap... whoops.