1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How much electric would this use? Stock and undervolted TDP for the system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keef247, 15 Jul 2022.

1. keef247

keef247 Modder

EDITED this due to overthinking! Ignore!

Last edited: 15 Jul 2022
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In power envelope I think he said

If I get a chance I put a power monitor on my daughter machine in the interests of science and all that, it's a 4650G (basically a 3600) with 3060Ti, a fairly budget build the GPU addition this year cost more than the system :D

If you are happy to down the quality and are obsessed with power perhaps a gaming laptop is the way forward?

They have power optimised parts and plenty of performance.

3. keef247

keef247 Modder

what was it drawing on full whack mate and at what res? I'm more than happy with 1080p for a pc as it means I can get away with a year or 2 more lifespan out of it futureproof wise as a 3060 easily hits 80+ fps in 1080p in ultra settings on most games if not more and I'll only be using it for SP and capping it at 60fps and undervolting it until I fancy some rare csgo etc at 144hz with the monitor I have in mind...

Oh Gareth there's also this

Definitely spanks a xbox/ps5...

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Don't know yet as I haven't done it, I meant to say I'll not I

keef247 likes this.
  5. keef247

keef247 Modder

let me know once the spying commences what it uses haha ;)

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, you're buying a 1080p monitor to play games in 1080p on a PC you're also buying which will draw more power than a PS5...

...so why not plug the PS5 into said monitor and play the games at 1080p? You're playing them at 1080p either way, right? You don't have to plug the PS5 into a 4k TV, you can choose not to - exactly the same as you're choosing not to plug the PC into the 4k TV. Hell, when I got my Xbox 360 I was still playing on a 4:3 SD CRT!

Like @sandys says, I said in the same power envelope. There's no transcript to that video and I'm not spending the next 17 minutes watching some shouty YouTuber walk through benchmarks, but a Ryzen 5 5600X draws 65W under load; an RTX 3060 draws 170W. That's 235W just for GPU and CPU, with nothing for storage, cooling, memory, motherboard...

A PS5 draws 200W peak.

Remember you were talking about saving power? Well, there's some power to save.

And remember how you were talking about saving power to save money? Well, an RTX 3060 is going to set you back £360+, and the 5600X another £210 - plus, let's say, £200 for motherboard, memory, case, power supply, and a legit copy of Windows.

PS5 Digital Edition is £360. £410 cheaper.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. keef247

keef247 Modder

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It should also be noted that TDP is not a limit, more a guide and CPUs and GPUs can pull more than TDP.

Gaming laptop is more efficient. You can build a PC with efficient parts but they cost more.

9. keef247

keef247 Modder

yeah mate that's why I was asking people who might have this setup what there's draws on full whack. elsewhere though I have found out it isn't more than 350w all in with monitor, speakers, amp, pc all going so that's fine vs upto 550w with a 5800x/3080, 4k or 1440p 32" monitor, speakers etc etc.

I could still go for the 1440p monitor I had my eyes on but for future proofing I think I'm better off having a frame capped 1080p and then leaving 1440p to favour more fps for future more demanding games as and when they need the horsepower.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, you didn't. You said you couldn't possibly use a PS5 with the 1080p monitor, without explaining why - nor why you can use a PC with the same 1080p monitor.
    Again, you're making extremely unfair comparisons: there's absolutely no technical reason that you have to use the 100W TV with the PS5. Either compare just the PC and the console, or compare them both with the same display device.

And you're ignoring, again, the fact that you're spending £410 more (minimum) to burn an extra 120W. So you're spending £410 more now and an extra 4.8p per hour of gaming. To... save money?

Anyway, you do you. Pretty clear you're set on the above, so I'mma bow out. Go do the work that's staring at me from my to-do list!

11. keef247

keef247 Modder

12. Gareth Halfacree

A little rude when I'm trying to help, don't you think? Especially coming from the guy who failed "reading" when it came to noticing the part I wrote about comparing a PC in the same power envelope.

You also "want" to save money by cutting down on electricity costs while gaming. I'd have thought using a 20W monitor instead of a 100W TV, regardless of what you're gaming on, would be a great way to do that, no?

Like I said, though, you do you. I'll not offer any advice in the future.

13. keef247

keef247 Modder

14. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, really? So, you didn't write this?

We're done here, I think.

15. keef247

keef247 Modder

16. Gareth Halfacree

Now, if I were really being passive-aggressive, this is the part where I'd say "try reading?"

But I genuinely wasn't being - or, at least, not trying to be. I wrote "errr" to indicate my confusion, because I was - and still am - confused.

However, I don't care any more. Like I say, we're done here. I have no interest in offering any more advice. You can go about your day.

17. keef247

keef247 Modder

ok fair enough man it just came across very aggressive from the initial sarcy remarks like the ERRR etc and saying to me how I should view my content etc when I'm thinking hang on I've told you the scenerio of usage so why is this even coming up. for me consoles = big tvs/comfy chairs. pcs = desk and a reasonable monitor with a new keyboard/mouse. so it was simply a case of what will this cost to run with this hardware.

That's why I couldn't understand the sarcy attitude (especially from a mod?) when everyone else has simply said yeah it'll cost/use X roughly...

18. Gareth Halfacree

Have they?

He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. Nor here.

You have absolutely no idea how much I want to just write "try reading" here, but I'm really honestly truly trying to be A Good Boy.

I hope your purchase works out as you hoped, and I hope it saves you the money you desire to save. Honest, I do.

19. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Can we not play "he said - she said" in the forum please as it adds no value. If its apparent you disagree after making your point (on either side) then just leave it and move on.

20. keef247

keef247 Modder

the first example refers to a 500w system - we know mine is in the 300-350w on full whack so that's irrelevant?
    Elsewhere many people have also confirmed with a monitor/speakers/etc etc as i've stated previously you're looking at 350w all in on full whack, I also mentioned undervolting and fps capping it and running 1080p... so again I'll be looking at around 300w which is a lot less than 500w...
    Either way I got my info I just didn't want a massive argument about consoles and what screen I'm allowed to use, especially not from a mod. I just wanted a simple it'll use X power with that hardware...
    Anyways enjoy the rest of your day we said what we said and aren't kids. I did apologise for my initial poor wording regarding the ps5 so I'm not trying to have a god complex. I just didn't like the way you came across. but no worries