1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Of A Guitar Hero Are You?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mookboy, 5 Jan 2008.

?

What difficulty setting can you consistently hit 4 and 5 star ratings?

1. None! My fingers are made from jelly sausages...

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Easy - Avril Lavigne

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Medium - The bloke from Greenday

31 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. Hard - Kerry King

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Expert - Steve Vai

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I can play Raining Blood perfectly on a real guitar, does that count? I've actually never played GH, which makes me sad, but I've heard that GH and actual guitars are a totally different skill. Though I'd imagine the skills in learning ryhthm are the same in both, the actual physical movements are totally different. Through the Fire and Flames is actually quite easy on a real guitar, it's so fast and messy you can screw up constantly and no-one can tell, it's a tactic Dragonforce use all the time live, lol.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Some people find it similar, some don't. The aspects of timing, rhythm and finger positioning (massively simplified) are all there, along with pretty realistic strumming most of the time. Some people say "why would you play guitar hero if you have a real guitar" but that's not the point.

And yes... playing the real raining does count. :p

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Whoop!

:clap:

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Parts of that song just seem utterly random... probably a direct result of giving massive amounts of Speed and strong beer to King and Hanneman.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The last solo is certainly, no-one's even bothered tabbing it online because it's just them pissing about, and they never play it the same twice live. God bless Speed, strong beer and Slayer. It's certainly a great song to warm up to, gets the blood going without really being that taxing to play.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wooo just did the metal on expert (only just, I was literally like 2 misses away from failure) and I'm now on ever harder songs XD

Before I Forget is just nasty, I don't think I'm getting past these songs.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I couldn't beat slash on hard so i just kept him :) i lasted a whole 30 seconds on TTFATF on hard, and i can get 3 - 4 stars on it on medium :O

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I managed to do it on hard quite easily actually, medium it took me ages to beat him but on hard it only took 2 attacks to kill him, I think it was mainly luck which seems to be the biggest factor in battles :( Had to wuss out on expert though, I can come close but after several attempts I gave up.

9. Krikkit

Before I Forget, Stricken and 3's and 7's are all pretty tricky songs - the ultimate chord mastery is needed for tbh. So far I've manged to 4* them , but nothing more... :(

Slash on Expert is really difficult tbh, took me about a dozen attempts to get him, mostly because I don't understand slash's method of playing. (That'll probably sound really weird, but I can see quite a few guitar players' minds work, not necessarily play their stuff, but see how they progress through the scales and stuff, with Slash it's like it's a random collection to me...)

10. mansueto

i beat lou on medium on my second attempt, launched 3 attacks at once during the solo and he went down, but Slash, he always uses his power ups when im about to get one for myself, so usually i only have 1 to send to him and even with that he manages to recover and kick my butt, i tried 3 times and no luck so i just gave up for the day, might go try it later.

11. Krikkit

The way to do it is to keep wearing him down. You have to use your powerup just when he's about to get one, then get yourself the next one etc. Eventually he'll start to dwindle around the red, then it'll only take a well-placed double/amp jobby/whammy to get him to fail on a decent solo section.

It takes some doing, but that's the way to beat him, and Lou later on. :)

12. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

I beat Lou when I was very very drunk 2nd time round, was a lot of fun!! Highly recommend it.

13. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

What really gets to me about that song is it's the only one I can't 100% on Easy. I mean EASY... come on... gaaah. I almost got it last night (I mess up the Flood every time), managed to not mess up where I normally do, then my finger slipped near the end on a bit I can do easily. Almost smashed the guitar.

I've hit a total brick wall on Hard at the moment, so I'm going back trying to get my rankings down for a bit. Might even go back to the previous 3 games for a while too.

14. mansueto

I failed my first song today, i got to the set with stricken, before i forget, knights of cydonia and 3's and 7's on hard, tried stricken and i failed. FIRST SONG I EVER FAILED :( im sad now, and i hate hard, so i went online and went 8 - 0 on medium :)

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Funnily enough that's the same brick wall I've hit! I did Stricken, but the others I need to practice at I think.

16. lockdown

lockdown What's a Dremel?

I am quite having a hard time playing the song Slipknot-before I forget in hard mode. Never the less this game really rocks.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2008
  17. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

expert, I can sight read every song in the mid to high 90's save for each games "uber" song like the buckethead song in GH2.

okay here's the thing I started the game on medium and it wasn't until several months later I went back and tried easy, but frankly easy seemed so elementary that I always wondered how anyone Couldn't play it no problem first try.

I really don't mean to insult anyone, and I'm not trying to brag, I'm good but even my sight reading in the 90's I can't beat my friends on expert, unless I sat down for maybe 2-3 hours to work out a song perfectly (and I don't have time for that). For the record I've never owned the game, I started playing guitar hero 2 over the summer, and I beat the career mode on expert in october (then I went back and beat it on hard). Mind you my friends that own the game all score high very high 90's on every song in expert, so I can never beat them.

my whole theory as to why my friends and I excelled at the game goes back to playing in symphonic bands and orchestra's. I played Tuba for 10 years, traveled europe and the usa. I happened to.nection? every single note on a tuba is played via combinations of those valves so really the whole concept of hitting a few buttons to a beat wasn't alien to me, in fact when I started playing I just related it to the notes I would be playing on a tuba (green would be e flat, green plus red would be G) My friend who's exceptionally good at the game played bass saxophone.

I also think years of playing in competitions (which always include a sight reading portion) trained me to quickly analyze patterns and really makes you focus on counting. Also year of practice and lessons meant I was trained to use practice time efficiently and break down complex melodies into easier to understand or play section. finally my music training just cued me in on very common music phrases, so for instance I immediately recognize triplets, trills, staggered beats etc that are common in the songs.

I think musical training is a big leg up in that game. ironically so, I think stringed instruments are actually counter-intuitive to playing that game as opposed to wood and brass instruments which all have mechanical valves which operate in almost the exact same fashion as the game does. still though if you have a decent amount of time playing any instrument, including guitar. then none of the rhythmn's should be all that foreign to you, essentially all you're doing is tapping out the melody (extremely easy part in every song) while keying along the 5 buttons (which generally come in repetitive patterns, mind you some of the patterns tend to be a little tricky or fast)

quick tip. the absolute best way to get faster at that game is to go into practice mode onto what ever song or section is giving you trouble and slow it down to as slow as it will go. play it repetedly until you can play at least high 90% consistently. that means all the information is no longer assaulting your senses and you've established the pattern in your muscle memory. once you can play something perfect at that speed, take it up one notch and do the exact same thing until you get 95% or above. keep doing this until you can play it perfectly at 100% and there you go. psychologically that's the fastest way to learn any instrument, GH is no different.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Looks like someone's blowing their own tuba *Bdoom tish*

Sorry couldn't resist XD

That's the way I practised as well when I got to a song I couldn't do. Usually I'd be fine on most but one section would get me so I'd play that on slow and then work up the speed.

19. mike_beef

mike_beef What's a Dremel?

I dont own the game but have played a friends GH3 on XBox. I've been playing real guitar for about 9 years and it really is no help for playing this game. Finding that i could quite quickly get to hard level on most songs but it messes with my mind, you know, the moving fret board going through the screen, once i stop playing i look around at the walls and they start movin and it makes me dizzy, its like being on acid or somethin!!:eyebrow:

20. Krikkit

That's one of my favourite bits! Not very good if you're badly hung over though.