1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How picky is dual channel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flax, 11 Jul 2003.

1. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

I have an A7N8X motherboard and along with some other upgrades I am planning on increasing the amount of memory I have, and take advantage of the dual channel configeration this board supports. I currently have 1 256MB Crucial PC2700 DIMM, how picky is the board about what modules it will use it dual channel mode.
    I will probally be getting more Crucial stuff because it's cheap and i've never had problems before, so I expect putting another 256 DIMM will work fine, but can I use a different amount on each side. Could I use a 512 and 256 DIMM for example?
    I tried a quick forum seach but couldnt think how to phrase it without just picking up a load of posts about what motherboard to get.

2. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

to use dual memory, you need to use the same brands, the same speed (obviously) and the same size dimms like 2 crucial 256mn pc 3200... if you take differente size, you won't be able to use the dual channel.

but if you want to use dual channel, you really should put 2 identical dimms in... as differents dimms (even in the same brand) might cause you problems...

there's loads of topics on dual channel... check that one and look for Zap's reply ;) http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32967&highlight=dual+channel

3. Sid

Sid Banned

Are you sure about this? I didn't think it would be that fussy.

I would guess that different sizes would not work but I thought that different speeds would. Remember, even though the memory is rated at different speeds, the actual speed that the ram runs at will be the same for both sticks. You would just have to make sure that the timings are set to the same.

Hmmm, very unusual. Are you saying that I could order two sticks of PC3700 from the same manufacturer and find they don't work in dual channel?

*reads zap's post* As I predicted really. I doubt different sizes will work. Different brands probably will I think, you'll just be better with same brand.

4. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
    Now I have a decision to make, I can either put another 256 in and have 512 in dual channel config, or I can put 512 in and have 768 in single channel and I wont have to spend twice as much to upgrade to 1gb when I have the money.

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Dual Channel Memory:

What HAS to be the same:

Size in MB
    Timings (RAS, CAS...etc..)
    MHZ or PCxxxx rating (400mhz=2700)
    Type x8, x4, Single Bank, Double Bank

What DOES NOT have to be the same:
    Brand (But it's still not recommended)

6. Sid

Sid Banned

You say the "rating" has to be the same?

What if the ratings are different but are both running at the same speed ie. one stick is over/under clocked?

7. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

not true. I have 1 crucial PC2100, one Samsung PC2700, both 256Mb and they run great in dual channel mode. I stuck a 256Mb stick in an a7n8x with 512mb in another slot, that ran fine in dual mode too. its not fussy at all.

oh yeah, PC 2700 is 333MHz, not 400

8. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

Well, I'll probally go for another 512MB, if it works in dual channel great, if not oh well. Hopefully I'll have enough by the end of the summer to upgrade to 1GB.

9. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Well yes you can have a 2100 stick, and a 2700 stick, but don't expect the 2100 stick to run at 2700.

The real reason is that the BIOS reads the first dimm's SPD, then uses that for timing ALL the dimms.

10. Hack'n'Slash

Hack'n'Slash Minimodder

What he said. :)

I've done it a few times with different RAM & NF2 mobo's. As long as you do what Zap suggests & put the slowest DIMM in slot 1 it'll (should :worried: ) be fine.

IIUIC, when using RAM of differing size in dual channel, say 1x256MB + 1x512MB, all of the 256MB stick & half of the 512MB stick will be running in dual channel mode, the remaining 256MB of the 512MB stick will be running in dual channel; if that makes any sense. :eyebrow: