1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming How To Be Better At Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Aug 2010.

1. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

"Don’t Correct Your Mistakes – It takes a lot more work to rid yourself of bad habits than it does to avoid making them. It may ruin the fun, but consider reading FAQs straightaway, rather than finishing the game first."

I have the exact opposite approach. You're bound to make mistakes, no matter what you do. But you can control how you process them.

The way I play/practice is a game if I make a mistake, even if it works out for the better (i.e. throwing a frag grenade instead of flash), I go back to the last saved checkpoint. The way I see it: I will always be able to beat a video game (especially nowadays) either by luck, tenacity, or abusing my continues. But if I take out the luck (good and bad), and ignore the continues when I die/fail then I know that I'm good at the game -- not just capable of beating it.

2. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

3. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

Did you make this up yourself, or can you actually provide a source? Either way, it's completely inaccurate. The subconscious is not a physical part of the brain, and it doesn't house anything, least of all long term memory.

I guess this is a case where there are too many flaws to point out, so I've erased almost everything I was going to say, and I'll just go to bed. The whole article is a load of crap in my humble opinion.

4. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I can play that Dragonforce song >:D

suck at FPS games though XD

5. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

@helz - You're reading too much into that paragraph. I never suggested the conscious and subconscious were specific areas of neuroanatomy. Describing in detail the processes of interplay between the active and inactive areas of the brain in the dynamic forming of the conscious and subconscious would have been highly impractical in this context. The 12 million figure is derived from difference in rate at which the conscious and subconscious analyse perceived environments, again subject to dynamic variation. As a simplified snapshot for illustration purposes, that paragraph is perfectly accurate and adequate for this article.

6. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Yes, everyone can tell by your tone how humble you are. :p

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This explains choking somewhat. The L4D team I was in didn't lose a single game ever (and we played hundreds) and it's partly because we were always so relaxed, laughing and chatting while we played. When the finals of the tournament came up however we all played much more poorly than ever before, and I'm guessing it was because it was so important to us that we had shifted much of the game into our conscious mind.

I'm not sure that we could have won if we had played to the best of our ability (the opposing team was made of pro CSS and TF2 players that had played at WCG, their FPS skills were just ridiculous), but it certainly should have been a lot closer a match.

8. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Exactly the same for me, except I never played any tournaments etc. Nearing on 500 hours of Versus in both L4D1 & 2. When everything goes to **** and you really try to up your game it's almost impossible. However, when you give up and stop caring suddenly it's there. Without thinking you just know when and where the opponents will spawn, and by letting your oblivious teammates take most of the beating you go into god-mode. As stated here several times before, it's hard to describe the feeling. The ladies will have to try very hard indeed to match it. :)

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well to sum up the article with the subconscious parts cut out, it just means this, practice until you develop enough reflex skills in the game, once a person reaches to the point of no needing to think to play, they've mastered it essentially.

10. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

Ignore.

11. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Yes that feeling of when you are doing everything right and you don't consciously know it. My friend doesn't understand why I like Gran Turismo so much, nothing explodes and there aren't any flashy gimmicks. But that feeling when you nail a lap of the track perfectly its worth it.

12. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

Good post/ thread:)

13. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

I think that this was a really good article. Something that is not covered much. just proves how powerful the mind can be:)

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I've railed my buddy clean while not even looking at the screen back in the day.. it's almost like a esp- guess subconscious explains it xD

15. Syn

Syn ¯\(°_o)/¯

It was a good artical, but somewhat depressing for people who weren't brought up to be a Musician!

16. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Learn? :D

One of the best guitar players I know started when he was 21, so there's hope for anyone.

He's also pretty badass at COD4.

Tags: Add Tags