1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics how to disable overvolt protection??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Toric, 9 Oct 2003.

1. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

I'm having a problem with my power supply and I need to disable overvolt protection. Does anyone know how to do something like this?

Problem discussed here: Sudhian Forum

2. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

why do you want to disable over volt protection? it is there for a very good reason.

Ok read you link and I dont think disabling overvolt protection is suitable due to the fact you could kill the rest of your box and will involve some major surgury on your PSU.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2003
  3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

probaly need to screw with the sense line, one is easy to tell on good psu's, the others are hidden.

4. larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how disabling the overvoltage protection would help because this seems more the PSU is too weak or its overcurrent protection is kicking in. If it's too weak, there's nothing that can be done.

You might be able to jumper the current sensing resistors, if the PSU has any. They're either in series with the outputs (probably very, very low values, just short lengths of wires instead of regular resistors) or on the high voltage side (single small resistor, probably under 1-2 ohms). I wouldn't short them out completely, just jumper them with 5-10 times their resistances (be sure they're rated for enough power, at least twice what can flow through them under worst-case conditons). It could be hard to find the right resistor on the high voltage side because I think some PSUs use another resistor to sense the current for a different purpose.

Some PSUs have empty places on their circuit boards for extra transistors or diodes in parallel with the existing ones, and I've read that adding them can help, but they have to be identical to the existing ones or they won't share the load equally. The new parts also have to be properly insulated from the heatsink.

5. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?