Windows How to measure PC boot up time?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by neil_b, 17 Aug 2009.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I want to try and measure the improvement in boot time for my PC after some remedial work.

How do you know as soon as a PC has DEFINITELY finished booting? I want to be able to measure to the same boot point consistently so I know what the improvement (hopefully!)....

Thanks guys.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

It's difficult. You could either measure up to the point when the desktop first appears, or maybe put some startup program (eg. Notepad) in Start Menu > Programs > Startup and see when that starts up.

But keep in mind that boot time is not consistent. For example every third (or was it fifth?) boot Windows performs a number of optimizations, and don't forget Superfetch and Prefetch either.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think if your going to notice a difference its going to be a big difference.

So if you just measure to a similar point, each time, like when your AV loads, or a certain icon in the task bar.

Each reading may not be the same every time, but you won't really notice a small difference, if you get a big difference, you'll know you've done something right.

Not sure if that makes sense, it does to me, hard to explain what I mean.

4. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

I always count from the picture of logo of motherboard's manufacturer or POST to the point that all my apps are loaded and hard drive stop making noise (u know the noise that it makes when u read data from it), this is my way to count boot up time. I always repeat this test 3 times and then take average from it ;)

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

From windows load screen to idle HDD.

Motherboard POST should not be measured as that stays the same no matter what you do.

6. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

If it takes longer than an hour for windows to boot up then you need to change something!! lol

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doesn't matter if you do - it's the same whatever you do, just like the core windows processes.

Personally I just wait until it sounds like it's finished, doesn't necessarily mean it's done properly, just that it sounds about right.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Doesn't matter as long as you only compare your rig with itself. But the moment you want to compare your time with other people's rigs, it becomes essential IMO.

9. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Try bootvis from microsoft if you have xp, it will give you a read out of the what takes time on boot up, i.e drivers and apps .

10. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

you can change motherboard boot times - optimize bios (disable parralel/serial ports) set fast boot.. that sorta stuff.

11. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

as somebody mentioned before if u only comparing your own boot times then it doesn't matter how u do it, the only thing that matters is that you do it exactly the same everytime, start counting from the same point and finish at the same point. It's getting more complicated if you want to compare your results with someone else :p

EDIT: this bootvis app is looking interesting ;)