1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling How to reshape tubing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jashaf, 20 Jun 2012.

1. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

I had a quick google for this but I couldn't seem to find the answer. (this is my first Water Cooling build) I have read in various threads that you can reshape the tubing for your custom water cooled build by
    (i) first shaping it to your desired shape
    (ii) dunking it in near boiling water for a short time
    (iii) then dunking it in ice water.

Possibly repeating these steps. Using this I have been lead to believe that you can nicely reshape tubing and get around minimum bend angles before kinking, etc...

(The thing is I have read a ton of guides / links / forums about water cooling and I can't remember / find exactly where I read these comments.)

So just to be a bit clearer, how long is a "short time"? 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute? (I guess I should do some experimentation myself but I stupidly only ordered 10 feet of tubing, and don't want to wait upon the shipping delay in getting some more...)

Also in my reading on water cooling I was lead to believe that maybe a good way to reshape the tubing was to use maybe a long spring inside the tubing, or fill it with salt. (Salt has a high melting point of 801 Degrees C so no problem there...)

So in conclusion my question is: what is the best way to reshape tubing?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Heat it up in boiling water for around 30 secs, bend it and then cool it with cold water. Same as I'd do for my gum shield for Rugby.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Post #50 at here