1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HP 2715nr (7150M) overheating issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PyROZen, 8 Sep 2009.

1. PyROZen

PyROZen What's a Dremel?

My girlfriends owns a HP 2715nr laptop, which she purchased new about a year ago. Recently i removed windows vista from is and installed XP. Everything is great and the computer easily runs x2 as fast as it did before. All drivers are recent, and all hardware works correctly(almost)

However, the 7150M IGP gets hot as hell! At idle it sits at 90C! the only game on the computer is Diablo 2, and running it in D3D at 1024x768 causes the computer to shutdown after about 10 minutes of playtime. Using GPUz i logged the temps while playing, and just before shutdown the GPU had reached 111C! Even using the wimpy visualizations in WMP10 cause it to overheat and shutdown within a matter of minutes. I didn't have a chance to check the temps before the vista/XP switch, but I couldn't imagine that having any bearing on the current situation.

I know this is not normal, and i seem to recall hearing that a bunch of these 7series IGP were flawed. Something about the thermal tape/paste wasn't applied correctly or maybe that the chips were just no good. Is there anyway to fix this issue without sending it off to HP? She uses here computer for school and sending it off for an unspecified amount of time is impossible. I've tried spraying it out with canned air, but nothing came out, and temps this high make me suspect something else is at play.

lee

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The best way to go would be to first remove the casing to try and get out any dust that has built up. Just spraying canned air into won't help as it tends to condense into thick dust mats so won't come out of the vents.

Next (assuming you're reasonably experienced with this kind of thing) would be to try and remove the heatsink and apply some more thermal paste (correctly this time) and that should bring the temps down quite a bit.

Aside from that I doubt there's much else you can do.

3. PyROZen

PyROZen What's a Dremel?

I guess i'll have to rack the case open tomarrow and see how it looks inside. I've removed CPU heatsinks ton's of times, but i've never attempted removing one from a GPU, and a IGP at that. Do then tend to be the same thing, 2 screws or spring clips and it pops off? I know i've seen other people destory desktop GPUs by trying to remove the heatsink, and i don't want to feel the wrath if i manage to screw it up:D

lee