1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks hp dv9000 no lights, wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by -equilerex-, 12 Dec 2009.

1. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

hp pavilion dv9685eo
    T7500 (2,2)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

so, yesterday i was surfing online when suddenly the laptop shut down and wouldn't turn on again. no lights are on, no sound or anything when i press power.
    on closer inspection, the round light where the cable goes into the computer is on but the lightning bolt that's supposed to be on when the power cable is connected is not lit.

i emptied it from static (press 30sec on the power button without the battery connected)
    checked the adapter but its all good
    took it apart and checked that the connections are good... the power reaches the mobo... from there, its beyond my skills.. overall. cant see any burnt places or loose connections.... all seems fine

bu considering the situation, i bet it must be the motherboard.

sooo....
    1. anyone got experience with this kind of situation?
    2. im guessing a normal "repairman" would just replace the mobo?
    3. any place selling cheap mobos... preferably in europe? any idea on the price range ?
    5. any other ideas how to fix the damn bugger?
    6. any links to barebone laptop websites (are the video cards built into the mobo btw??)

buying a new laptop would be a bit of a waste considering that most parts should work... and for my budget, i probably would get smth weaker then this.

and some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277

It's a known problem that affects a large amount of HP laptops, to do with the graphics failing I believe. If you are in warranty then they will replace the motherboard for you (or should).

We have a pile of laptops from that era in the shop I work that are all out of warranty, and all duff.

The link above might be helpful, but maybe not, but it should give you a little more info.

But yes, it's likely a motherboard replacement is required. :(

3. -equilerex-

ehh, that sucks then.

thanks for your input... il try to hunt down some mobo sales then :/

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I recently fixed my gf's DV6000 by buying a spares/repairs from Ebay. Might work for you too!

5. ast331

ast331 What's a Dremel?

No power has nothing to do with the video chip (unless you completely remove the chip, creating an open circuit) Most power related issues are a QFN chip, a special type of mosfet or other surface mount component such as a capacitor. Precision Division (Clearwater, Fl) repairs motheboards at the circuit-level. Most repairs cost $125 or less.

6. ast331

ast331 What's a Dremel?

Precision Division (Clearwater, FL) repairs laptop motherboards. Most repairs are $125 or less.

7. -equilerex-

unfortunately not in europe :/
    actually took it to a local hp certified repairman... he couldnt find the problem... all chips had good connections, nothing was burnt... he was pretty nice tho.. didnt have to pay for that.

found a replacement board for less than $200... either lucky or im getting scammed ^^
    receiving it tomorrow...