1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP to keep PC division

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 28 Oct 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

great! wife just bought HP laptop :)

btw, that laptop looks puuurtty :D (as for the comment at the caption of the image)

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't think HP has done itself any favours at all. The earlier announcement, coupled with this U-turn, could shake the faith of some IT departments looking to renew their IT hardware contracts; I think it makes them look indecisive.

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Never been a fan of HP. Always using tacky cheap parts and i dont think ive heard of any HP computer lasting longer than 2 years.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Fear I must disagree with you there - I bought an HP nx7000 (one of the first widescreen and one of the first Centrino laptops) in 2003, and it's still going strong. Only thing I've needed to replace on it has been the keyboard a few years ago, and that was mostly my own fault. Now doing duty for a friend and still working.

So not all of their stuff is cheap and tacky. ;)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

HP making the decision to drop their PC division in the first place was probably the dumbest idea a company like that could ever have. I still don't know why exactly they decided it in the first place. And as for them saying ‘The data-driven evaluation revealed the depth of the integration that has occurred across key operations such as supply chain, IT and procurement.' well no ****! The company began on PCs and is obviously has their largest customer base. Thats like saying a car company decides to make boats one year, thinks to drop their car manufacturing, and realizes "Oh derp! I never realized that most of our customers bought our cars and not our boats!"

Idiots

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I think this is great news.

Its good to have strong players in the market. Keeps everyone honest :D

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

That's because Leo Apotheker, formerly of SAP, was in charge at the time.

To continue your analogy, it's like the car company that also makes boats hires the former exec of a boat-building company, and he then decides that the company will stop making cars and focus on boats instead. :lol:

9. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

As I've only used HP's Elitebooks, I couldn't testify as to the quality of their more mainstream laptops. Elitebooks are nice though, tougher with nice features.

10. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

I too am a happy user of HP's Pcs. They are a bit 'Ford' like in that they ain't going to give you anything too exotic but they do last. One of my 2003 HP laptops is with its 3rd owner and has never missed a heartbeat.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

hmm that makes a lot of sense. still doesn't change the fact that the guy made an incredibly dumb decision.

12. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

Have used several brands before and I can assure you, from all of them the HP ones I've had were indeed the best in terms of longevity (got a 6 year old and a 9 year old laptops).
    Have you ever used an HP computer? Hearing from other people is not the ideal way to express your own opinion of a product...

PS: there's also that awesome case where it's obviously the user's fault, but hey... "faulty computer with tacky parts" sounds a lot better to say :p

13. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

A friend had a 4 year old HP that he tried to load Windows 7 on. The sound card stoped working the TV card stoped and the whole thing was a disaster as the motherboard and everything else was made by a company I have never heard of ( or able to find), and to top it off HP had stopped supporting the model meaning with the pointless system restore disc he couldn't get anything to work again.

I built him a cheaper, better and faster system. There is always a cost saving somewhere with builders like HP.

14. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Wish I had bought stock when they first announced the split. I see their price rebounding further in the near future....

15. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Blimey the HP lovers are out in force today.

The reason for why I said they never seem to last is this :
    2 Of my housemates have a HP laptops - Both died. Both from Faulty screen after a year/half use & other teething issues.
    1 House mate has a HP printer. - dead...Also his HP desktop computer's motherboard and HDD failed too.

Also never heard anyone say anything good about HP...untill now! But fair enough...

16. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

That was the bog-standard HP consumer laptops no? Because their Business line rocks. I am currently using a 2710p which is the tablet version of their 12" laptop. It is two years old and it is used for around 8 hours a day for typing and browsing. It has never let me down. Ever. The hinges still feel solid, the battery life is good and the only thing I would want to replace was the keyboard. It is starting to feel a bit mushy.

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I had one of the dv range of laptops (~£450) and that lasted for about 4 years which I don't think is that bad. A couple of other people I know have had hp laptops and they didn't have any trouble either. Also people who get the consumer hps are more likely to break it as I once saw my cousin pick up a laptop by its screen and justified it by saying "I've always done it" :D

18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Fair point that their quality might have dropped in recent years compared to the bulletproof tanks of yesteryear but depends what you're buying, my Deskjet 950c is still going strong 12 years later, it's only cartridge prices that are finally retiring it, in favour of a newer multifunction model, the 2050 which was the same cost as a set of cartridges for the 950. Needed a new scanner so killed two birds with one stone.

Happy they're still around, but now they'll have to absorb any increase to the HDD cost rather than passing that on to the customers if they want to remain competitive.

19. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

I'm afraid I must disagree with you.

A friend bought his HP desktop a few years ago (E6600, 2GB Ram, etc) and is still using it as his main machine although it's now upgraded to 4GB (only because he needed more RAM for Photoshop etc) and has had a CPU cooler change as it failed. Apart from that it's working extremely well.

Until earlier this year I was using an HP laptop at work and even though it was lugged around everywhere it never failed me. Okay it was gettings slow but that was more to do with XP never being re-installed on it and all of the software we have to run at work. It was 4 years old when it was swapped due to being out of warranty and now I'm using a Leveno.

20. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Well, it really would depend on how your housemates treat their kit. If it's anything like my 18 year old lodger then I am surprised they lasted that long unless they were the ruggedised versions.

Never used their laptops, but worked for a company who used their servers for a workflow system for many years. The only things that seemed to go wrong were the occasional power supply (hot swappable, nice), the odd HDD failure (hot swap and reboot to rebuild, nice) usually due to the last problem of overheating due to an awfull lot of dust/spiders/other assorted crap (quick hoover, sorted). They were used in an industrial environment with a lot of airbourne dust and not the gentlest of users. When I left there were still plenty of 8 year old servers pushing the work through 24 hours a day. I even dropped one down 4 flights of stairs once. Didn't look too good afterwards but still worked as if nothing happened.

Tags: Add Tags