Cooling HSF for 2500k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b0ng0, 5 Apr 2011.

1. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I'm wanting to OC my CPU soon and as the weather is getting hotter (18 C today - huzzah!) I'll be replacing the stock cooler that's on it at the moment.

I was thinking one of these:

Thermaltake Frio
    Cooler Master 212+
    Corsair H50 (although after looking at some benchmarks, it seems like it isn't much better that the above two).

Would it be possible to say, buy a Gentle Typhoon and replace the stock fan on the CM 212? Or would I just be better off getting the TT Frio?

I've also heard talk of a push-pull configuration but I'm not too sure what this is. Any advice welcome :thumb:

2. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Kinda similar to the h50, but ive been happy with the antec 620 (although im not using the stock fan, instead got a push/pull setup with lower rpm quieter fans).

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It depends on how much you want to overclock it really.
    But the coolermaster 212 should be enough.

IF you are going to replace the fans you might as well just but the Frio in that case.

4. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

That's what I was thinking. What does the push pull refer to? Is that just two fans blowing air in opposite directions or is it more technical than that?

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Pretty much the front fan will push cold air into the HSF while the rear fan will extract it away from the hsf getting it through faster.

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Save your cash, I have a 2500k running at 4.6Ghz with a Gelid Tranquillo, doesn't go over 60 degrees when my room is 21 degrees.

Unless you are wanting to push it further than 4.6Ghz, I would save your cash.