1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other HTPC/Server/AV-TV system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faxiij, 25 Jan 2011.

1. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Hi guys,

I searched many sites and found useful tests, reviews and discussions about the single aspects, but as a complete matter im struggling to come to a conclusion. i'm hoping some of you maybe run a similar setup and can advise me :)

i'll soon be finished with my studies and finally i can work. moving into a flat of my own, first things first: i need a entertainment package ;)

PC for gaming is sorted already, so i'll leave that out. (with it's own speakers etc.)

I'm looking for the following:

- A HTPC, merely for streaming movies (full HD capable!)/series/music/pictures & Youtubing/Browsing to a LCD tv. Gigabit-networking, HD-audio output & BR-reader will be needed. No TV/DVR card needed. Second HDMI/DVI/VGA-out would be great, as I might be adding a beamer to this setup in 2012 probably.

- A server: is a NAS worth it? thought about just taking an old pc and turn it into a 4TB server with gigabit network.

- A "home cinema" system: 5.1 speakers & receiver with HDMI input

Quite simply, server has all files and offers to network, HTPC streams to TV and serves as DVD/BR player through integrated BR-drive. AVreceiver should be able to play HD-audio (Stereo, 5.1, 7.1) from HTPC through HDMI/Toslink.

I'd like to have nice sort of "remote control" to use my HTPC, however it should easily allow browsing as well. Have been thinking of something like DiNovo, small keyboard with integrated touchpad or trackball of sorts.

I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible of course.

I'm open to alternative suggestions, keeping price in mind obviously.

I'd be happy to hear about products/solutions according to above specs - thanks in advance already :lol: