1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development huge php project

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bruno_me, 16 Sep 2004.

1. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

well, it's huge to me :p

anyway, I finished making that cluster, but now they need something to put it to use. So I came up with the idea to make a web-based interface for running simulation models (why the cluster was made in the first place).

I was thinking something along the lines of:

• someone uses samba to put the datafiles (stuff the model uses to make numbers) on node 1 (because it's the only one on that network), not a problem
    • then they go to a php page that gets all the models by looking at a config file, or maybe a directory listing, and chose a model
    • then, based on which model they chose, they'll get redirected to a page with different variables can be set about how the model runs, and they'll tell it where they put the datafiles.
    • then they click submit
    • the php page passes all the options to a shell (somehow) and runs the model
    • (optional) then once it gets done, it sends the person an email telling them it's done
    • (optional, but it'd be really nice) have the main php page tell the user if there are currently any models running

as always, any help is appreciated :)

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

That's all easy enough. :)

Not much time for detail as lunch running out (see quack's XML thread) but for a few pointers:

File reading and writing:
    ref.filesystem
    Shell execution in PHP is easy:
    function.shell-exec
    Mailing a user is easy:
    function.mail

If you want more pointers, post here, and I'll be back on tonight from home. :)

3. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

well, my php knowlegde is limited to a bit of databasery stuff to run my website, [pimp]http://bruno-me.org/[/pimp], so I was hoping for some code :)

I think the xml thinger would work pretty well, so I'll need some parsing code (in php prefferably) and I can hopefully be able to figure it out from there

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I can't give you exact code examples, because I don't know exactly what you're wanting to parse from the config files, or what you want to pass to the shell command. If you read through the syntax and examples of the functions I posted, that should help a lot.

If you have more detail, I'm happy to give you pointers, and fix problems if you have an effort. :)

PS - Where do you want to use XML? If you're planning on using it, make sure you're using PHP5 as 4 + XML = ballache.