1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Hush litle 'puter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TetarZ, 18 Dec 2002.

1. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

OK half of us have probably been looking to see if they could quiet there 'puter down (while the other half was trying to see how much watts they could waist with there brand new Pentuim 6 1000ghz without reaching fusion temperature).
    Well nobody ever thought of heat-pipes?? Like big sized heat pipes. I'm talking 'bout a computer with no mechanical cooling parts here!!
    The idea is getting together a giant heat-pipe in a aluminium case and use the case as heat sink via a heat-pipe. If anybody knows of anyone who has done it pls send me links. I'd love to do it myself but minus 248 euros is probably to small of a buget.:waah:

2. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Lots of heatsinks already use heatpipes. I dont think they could move the heat a big enough distance far enough if you wanted to increase the scale...

3. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

i thought about this, but mine involved a hela powerful peltier and a heat sink which clips onto the die, then the case, solid copper, maybe with a silver core, out to a nice alum case where the entire side is actualy a big heat sink.

as in big copper foils :)

4. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

checkout calmpc.com. The case looks ceap but does exactly that. The guy who firs talked to me about heat-pipes (before even thezen heat-sink came out ) is an expert in cooling (he is a low temerature physician) and he said it could work nearly as well as water coolling.

check out
    benchtest.com to see somenone who tried it (just not the interesting way: using an external heat-sink...)

5. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Doesn`t the Dreamcast use a heat pipe or something similar?

If you open it, the CPU and GPU both have little shims which attach to a pipe. The pipe goes to the right hand side of the console where there is a heatsink and small fan.

Might have to mod that fan to be a bit quieter...

MoJo

6. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

Dreamcats and toasters

Well the dreamcast might be using using a heat-pipe but it's nowhere as hot as my Athlon 1.2ghz (I could baje an egg in 30 secods on it....).

I would consider using my 'puter with water-cooling to heat up an aquarium. I could put lobsters in it. I here they cook very well in boiling water.

Nah serously thx for the tip. I also think (i'm not sure though ) that HP uses heatpipes in some of there big servers.