1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam I couldn't afford to buy Portal 2...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Oggyb, 19 Apr 2011.

1. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Why?

Its not *in the game* its in a separate extras area. And hidden away at the bottom of the list. It hardly intrudes into portal.

What the hell are you talking about, there is *NO* large amount of DLC one day one, paid for, free or otherwise.

There is a little store to pay for robot skins/hats in co-op mode, which is totally pointless but you're not missing anything by not purchasing it. I just played through the co-op again for the second time with a friend, neither of us would ever consider buying a pretend hat for a pretend robot in a game, where only two people play together differentiating yourself is pointless, especially when the robots already look so different and have their own personality. And you lose NOTHING by not having it. So why be butthurt?

It appears those who haven't purchased the game have a lot to complain about, whilst those who paid for the game have nothing but praise. Kind of telling.

This is some of the best story telling, writing and most importantly fun I've had in a PC game in a very long time. Why complain about that eh?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It still shouldn't be there. There's absolutely no place or reason for it. And it's not as if it's bringing the price of the game down...

Incidentally, I'm hugely annoyed at Valve's in-game ads. As of late they've started cropping up in my favourite game, CS:CZ. A game bought and paid for (unlike the original CS), and the ads have now been *localized*. :wallbash:

3. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Despite the fact that some people might like it?

Some people wear hats in TF2, that has a store now too you know. Personally I don't see the point, I preferred vanilla TF2 before a lot of the upgrades overly complicated a beautifully balanced game.

But you cannot deny that some people like that stuff, shouldn't they have the option if they want to pay £2 for a skin for a robot? It doesn't effect your enjoyment of the game either way. I can understand if you protest by choosing not to buy something in game with a micro-transaction (I know I won't be) but you can still support a great dev, and enjoy a great game at the same time. And I maintain its not a "huge amount" of day one DLC like you initially stated, and its not a game changer either. I'd rather DLC be vanity items rather than paid for in game advantages.

As for bringing the price down, you can find Portal 2 for £25 plenty of places online, I pre-ordered at £27 on steam. For an AAA title at release I hardly think those prices are unfair. I consider ~£25 very fair for a game personally. I feel it was worth every penny, its hardly like paying £40 for MW2 or CODBLOPS.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not really sure what you're reading into my post. I said that there's no reason for an ad for Super 8 in a completely unrelated game. A full-price AAA title at that. I could *barely* understand the inclusion of the ad if it had made the game cheaper to buy, but as it stands you pay full price for the game *and* get bothered with an ad. And I don't really care how unintrusive it is. It just shouldn't be there!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with you. I did think it was a little bit cheeky at first, but then I remembered that this used to occur quite frequently in ye old skool days, so it brought back some nostalgia.

At the end of the day, you have to actively look for it and it's actually quite cool!

6. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Yeah perhaps that's why I dont mind, I remember ye olde gaming :) also if it said "drink coke" on the wall of a test chamber I'd find thar offensive, but it's hidden way and not in the game proper, plus is well put together.

I thought it was rather nifty personally :) and I don't begrudge valve making a profit.

7. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

I just finished it, Stephen Merchant's great as Wheatly (Spolier).

8. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

We all knew that, but for future reference, be nice and put spoiler BEFORE you spoil something! :cooldude:

9. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

Haha, sorry ;)

10. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Currently at lan have watched friends play it etc, i still cant see the game needing the high price, 20 should be max for it.
    How many times can you run through co-op till it gets old.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Or you know, use spoiler tags [spoiler][/spoiler] ;)

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Seriously...... long term unemployed scraping the money together to sit on there ass playing Portal 2, your living on my taxes god dammit stop playing games and get a job.:wallbash:

/rant.

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, I honestly think that £20 is too little for an AAA title with this much fun and content.

And really £25, are you really going to quibble over the price of a couple of pints? I drop £5 on stuff all the time without any real thought, really £25 is a very fair price in my opinion.

A lot of AAA titles cost a good £15 more than that. Perhaps its just that you and I define "high price" differently, because I can easily blow 4 times the price of Portal 2 most Saturday evenings, and frequently do, and honestly I remember a whole lot less of it.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't see how that's even a spoiler. Wheatley was shown in the first bits of Portal 2 footage they released.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I know how you feel OP. I can't afford it either. Just wait for it to drop in price, that's what I will be doing.

TBH I wouldn't have got it straight away even if I had the spare cash, as I know it's going to be a short game. Only games I pay full price on are games that will last more than a couple of days.

16. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Not my point.

17. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I hope you never find yourself out of work and see how hard it actually is to gain employment these days...

Hex likes this.
  18. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I'd like to echo Flibblesan's remark. You'll find a lot of unemployed have their priorities in exactly the right order.

Hex likes this.
  19. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

^I'm with them. Also don't assume you're paying money to all of us. I am longterm unemployed and have not claimed a single penny in any way. I'm not on any benefits whatsoever because I was fortunate enough to save my pennies while I worked my arse off in a hell-hole for years. So you haven't paid anything for me to 'sit on my donkey'. In fact those that are now out of work on benefits mostly paid their own damn taxes for years. The reason you pay it is if you find yourself unfortunate enough to be out of a job in an economic nightmare like right now. People like you are why people like me are too ashamed to claim what we are entitled to. I'll probably end up living on the streets before I claim the dole, and I really shouldn't have anything to be ashamed of.

Do not assume. That really winds me the **** up. :nono:

20. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

*Looks forward you joining us fired 'bums'*