1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I got a job, in currys...

Discussion in 'General' started by GingerFox, 13 Mar 2010.

1. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

The easy way to do warranties is to get your head around the finance plans.

If your quick at mental maths, you can quote a per week price for an item with inclusive cover.
    Often a per week peice is buttons and seems a good deal.

You then get double kudos (and bonus) for seeling both warranty and finance.

But don't hammer it.
    just a simple, "Would you be interested at £x a week with inclusive cover, it's a special offer we can do." and leave it at that.
    The trick is not to get fed up, you may get a hundred no, then get a few that say yes.

Retail is OK.
    but the hours can be crappy.

I'd never do it again by choice.

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I can see why you'd be tempted, but remember, you are on the 'store's' side, not theirs. It's your job to get them to spend their money, not be their friend.

Because the store I work at is a small store, and the people aren't that clued up in this area, I sometimes get carried away in helping people that have shopped here before. The store only has four sales assistants including myself.

Do not, I repeat do NOT, help people more than you have to. I sold a hi def camcorder to a guy the other day. He recorded a wedding in HD on it's 16gb hard drive. Then came back asking how he was going to transfer it to a dvd that would play on a standard dvd player to share with his relatives. I had told him software was provided when I sold it to him. Turns out only the manual was on a disc, and the software itself was on the actual camcorder.

I must have spent an hour (the store was dead quite) trying to find a solution for this guy. I couldn't. The guy has no technical savvy. Any why did I get this? 1, because I sold a clueless person an HD camcorder, 2 because I didn't tell him to phone Samsung from the get go and actually got involved.

This guy had already gone to two photographic studios in the area, and the one said he couldn't do it, the other said the guy would have to go to Athens to get it done. In the end, I managed to send him off to a guy who owns a computer store here in the area who said he'd show him how to do use the in camcorder software. At the end of the day, the guy was willing to pay someone to do it for him, but nobody in the area had the technical nohow.

I suppose I could have helped the guy, for a fee, but once you go down that road, of going the extra mile, there's no getting out of.

Lesson learned. I think. :duh:

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but can anyone jump in and share some tips on how to avoid becoming someone's bitch when they don't know how to use what you've sold them (either for lack of reading the fecking manual, or because they are technically inept)??

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Only retail I did was Time Computers. I lasted 2 months before I left because of the management preasuring you to sell their gold warrenties that are not worth anything. I couldnt go that low and sell something I knew was a con.

I always pop into my local currys, comet. Not to buy anything, just to see the real products on the shelf and play test before making my mind up and buying online elsewhere.

Im sure you will have alot of people like me wasting your time for that purpose. Trouble with online stores, you dont get to see the product and play test first :).

4. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Funny enough Pixmania is one of the best (added) and cheapest (/added) online shopping portals to use and that is a dixons company ... :)

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

My son is a section manager at waitrose and the training has being awesome, I would recommend any new member to the retail sector to join the John Lewis group.

I have been in retail for almost twenty after being in the army before that and have seen the ups and downs of retail. My days off I hate being in stores and I went to Vancouver and few years back on holiday. I spent almost everyday in stores as the customer service was so damn good. Yes I spent a load £4000 but I still can show what I spent it on.

Why are most of us these websites learning how to pout PC's together and so forth, it is because there aren't retailers out there that we can trust. Well I certainly would not buy a PC from PC world, currys or comets ever.

6. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the advice guys! Wish i could respond to each of you, i'm starting my training today at 5pm. I'll let you know how it goes (if you're interested:L)

7. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Congrats on the job!

I've been looking for a part-time job too, but no luck so far.

8. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Good luck with FIVES, I'm not gonna say any more than that, once you start you'll know what I mean ;)