Build Advice I LOVE this forum!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeneralFun, 22 Sep 2016.

1. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

I got good advice back in 2009 from the Bit Tech community doing my 3rd build. :thumb: That build has served me very well. It's time for an upgrade. I've done some homework and was hoping to get reviews (critique?) of my selections from the knowledgeable members here once again.
    Here we go...

Budget:
    ~$2000 USD

Main uses of intended build:
    I'm a gamer (FPS)

Parts required (desired?):
    MB = Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 Mark 1
    Processor = i7-6700K
    CPU cooler = Dark Rock Pro 3
    Memory = Corsair Dominator Platinum (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200
    Graphics = Asus GeForce 1080 8GB Strix
    Monitor = Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    Lian-Li PC-P80 full tower (reuse and mod some?)
    MB = Asus P6T
    Processor = i7-920
    CPU cooler = stock
    Memory = I forget but it's DDR3
    Graphics = GTX770 (upgraded from the 2009 GTX 295 that died)
    Monitor = Samsung T240HD
    PSU = Corsair RM1000i (reuse... upgraded from the 2009 CMPSU-1000HX that I THOUGHT died)
    Storage = Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB, Samsung 950PRO 250GB SSD. (format and reuse) LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray DVD-ROM (reuse)

Monitor resolution:
    Old monitor = 1920x1200 @ 60Hz 5ms
    New Monitor = 2560x1440 @ 144Hz 1ms

Storage requirements:
    Reuse old drives

will you be overclocking:
    yes (eventually, I'm brand new to overclocking. Want to run stable 1st!)

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    MB requirements will be learning all the features the SABERTOOTH offers! :naughty:

Extra information about desired system:
    Will be running Winblows 10!
    Looked seriously at the 1070 but thought it would struggle @ 144Hz and for a mere $200 more for the 1080 will easily draw @ 1440P 144Hz. I should also be able to venture into 4K gaming later, should I want to go that route.
    The i7 is also overkill in my opinion but again it's future-proofing?
    Also considered a closed loop cooler but I'm still afraid of adding water in my case even though I am in awe of the case mods I constantly view in the forums here with water cooling. Very pretty, very clean and very functional! I worry about the Dark Rock hitting the armor on the SABERTOOTH MB. Anybody have experience with that ASUS board?

Thanks in advance for your comments! :clap:

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I think that will make for a very solid, powerful system which should see you through a few years again. Does all that come in at $2000?

My only thoughts are to the age of your PSU; how much mileage has it got under it's belt? Might be worth looking for a new one if its had a long hard life. It'd be a shame to get all new guts, only for an older PSU to fail a year or two into the build's life.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Build looks fine. I have a Asus Sabretooth Z170S white board. 3ghz 2x8GB Corsair LED RAM
    I7 6700K and a GTX 1080. CPU sits nicely at 4.6 with only a tiny voltage boost.

Z270 chipsets and the I7700K is Due January from the shows I have been to and speaking to Asrock and Gigabyte. So just something to think about.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

depending when you want to upgrade it "could" be worth waiting for AMD's new offering. It will be released before the end of the year.

but if you were to buy right now yeah solid choice

5. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

I did it. Here's what I ended up getting:

i7 6700K
    Asus Sabertooth Mark 1
    ROG Strix GTX 1080
    Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 (16 GB)
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
    Dell S2716 DG

Received products from 2 vendors, Newegg and SuperBiiz. Everything arrived in great shape. Put everything together in my old Lian Li PC P80 with a "not-that-old" (less than a year old) Corsair RM1000i PSU. Reformatted 1 Samsung SSD and two Wester Digital HD's and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. Booted up after a little tweaking on the Sabertooth and has been running and booting fast and strong for almost a month. Not sure the 1080 was worth the extra money over the 1070 but the same could be said about the 6700K I bought versus other processors.

Now that I have a solid PC and everything is working great I need to get started with a scratch build case!

Thank you to those who but forth their opinions. It was helpful.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2016
  6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Monster rig, should keep you happy for a while ! :)