1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics I need some help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Samurai75007, 13 Aug 2006.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

Well I come to you all for some help. Let’s see if I can explain this right for everyone. I will be running a SLi setup in my new computer. I plan on making something along the lines of a polizei case as I mostly now go by badpolizei. I would like to find out how to make something that will let the zalmen gpu heat sinks lights flash opposite each other like polizei lights as I am thinking one be blue and the other green. Anyone have an idea of how I can do this?

Thank You.

2. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

are the leds on those Zalman heatsinks connected to through the supply of the fan itself? If they are, there's not much you can do.

If you want to put in some of your own LEDs, it is possible to make them flash in a quite spectacular fashion, though, designing a circuit for the flashing will be somewhat difficult if you don't want to involve any Programmable IC's (PIC chips, like Microchip's, or Atmell's)

the advantage of Programmable chips is that you can change the way they flash anytime, by just reprogramming those chips. A simple 12F508 will give you enaugh options to just blink 2 or even 4 clusters of LEDs :D

Last edited: 13 Aug 2006
  3. Samurai75007

They are but like you say I would like to use my own LED's because of the color change I will need to do.

I would love to do this but have no idea where to start, I guess off to Google I will go.

Basically it would be Blink Blink top video card pause Blink Blink bottom video card pause and repeat. With an on off switch so that I can turn the Lupe off when I go to sleep, or don’t want to have it running.

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

if you just want the lights to toggle back and forth at a fixed rate, a 555 timer and all the passives to run it is all you need.

As for the blink blink, pause, blink blink on the other one, thats a bit more complex, however you could make that without a microcontroller by using flip-flops, logic gates, and a clock source ( a 555 would be a good clock source)

If you are interested in starting with microcontrollers however, this would be an excellent simple thing to do. Get a PIC with an internal oscillator, program it, and give it power, and that should be all you need, unless you want to to a ton of LEDs, in that case, you'll just need some transistors so you can handle more current.

The flip flops and logic route is code free, and you dont need a programmer. The microcontroller route, is a lot simpler hardware wise, and easier to change. But you just need a programmer and to write the code.

5. smudge192

smudge192 What's a Dremel?

I'm with ConkBot on the PIC route. If you used a 16F628 you wouldn't need any external components : If you're just looking to have one led on at a time, the PIC should be able to drive that directly.

Your only complication is programming it, but LED blinker programs are the 'hello world' of the PIC world so it should be dead easy for you.

To take it one step further, the addition of a button could mean that you could have different patterns/speeds available.

6. Samurai75007

Thank you both ConKbot and smudge, I think that the PIC route would be the best also. I guess now the question is where I go for what I need and information on how to do it. Any web site’s & or books come to mind?

Thank You.